Skip to main content

My Dog is Smarter than your Dietician

Dieticians might recommend plenty of healthy whole grains and low-fat products (maybe even "good fats" from plants if they're progressive), but my dog, Molly, knows better. Like me, she follows a low-carb diet of mostly meat, eggs and fibrous vegetables, along with vitamins. At her vet visit this weekend, she was down three pounds (though still a little chubby) and had clean, healthy teeth. The vet said she sees a lot of slimy teeth--but not on Molly. Molly's wisdom:


  • Vegetables are fine for a snack, but meat and eggs are best for a meal.
  • Food is supposed to be enjoyed!
  • Brush your teeth and avoid sweet and starchy foods. I'm looking at you, paleo bro.
  • Have a weekly treat. 
  • Get some exercise, but don't strain yourself. Get off the treadmill when you're tired of it.
  • Sleep when you're tired.
  • The right vitamins will make you feel good.
  • Ignore yappy little dogs. 
  • Eat real food, mostly animals, but not too much.

Comments

Way to go 'Molly'

I get most annoyed, and dismayed, when you see how some dog owners feed their pets.

Pets need real food too.

Have a good week Lori,

All the best Jan
Larcana said…
Molly is a smart doggy, same for my Otis. He will politely take a broccoli stem and then place it on the floor.
I feed him a meat diet and no fat, sickness or bad teeth. He is 5 now and has only check-ups and shots. The Vet is mystified. Ha ha!
Lori Miller said…
Molly likes sliced broccoli stems, but she throws them on the floor if she wants a real breakfast or dinner.
tess said…
:-D Spenser loves his broccoli stems, too! ...plus his cabbage hearts and cauliflower "trimmies," ... he's a real brassica fiend.
Lori Miller said…
Molly will stand on her hind legs for a chunk of cabbage.
JanKnitz said…
Best.Blog.Post.Title.EVER!!!

So why do they put all those whole grains and veggies in commercial dog food???

Our dog eats around veggies.
Lori Miller said…
As the chickadees who live in my yard say, "Cheap! Cheap!
Kelley said…
Your dog has twice the common sense of most humans! When you see some of the silly gimmicky diets in magazines or out there on the internet I'm beginning to think we'd all be better off if we just listened to Molly. She keeps it simple too for the benefit of we members of the less intelligent species!

Kelley @ The Whole Hound
Lori Miller said…
Glad you enjoyed the post!

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...