Skip to main content

It Doesn't Have to Be This Hard

If I'm ever in a trench defending my homeland from barbarians, I want Linda Wells, Editor-in-Chief of Allure magazine, next to me. She's spent her last couple of vacations at a boot camp eating vegan food, sans booze, caffeine, gluten and sugar and going on five-hour hikes, getting blisters along the way. She doesn't feel (or sound) self-righteous. She's lost eight pounds, but says she's ready to "re-tox."

The same issue of the magazine describes the program of a weight loss clinic called Medi-Weightloss: 500 to 800 calories a day of protein (around 125g to 200g), supplements, laxatives, and a prescription appetite suppressant called phendimetrazine.

Jesus wept. Starvation diets--and this diet is well into starvation territory--have been well studied. They're known to cause weakness, fatigue, loss of libido and psychosis. Low-fat diets can cause depression, among other problems. And what's with the heaping helping of protein? Plugging in the author's height and weight into Jenny Ruhl's protein calculator and assuming she's 35 years old and sedentary (the program forbids exercise for the first two weeks), the calculator recommends 90g of protein a day. Your body needs protein for maintenance and repairs, but it can't run on it. It can only run on fat or carbohydrate.

The program is supposed to employ ketosis, which one expert interviewed says is "debunked":

While many physicians used to believe ketosis could permanently reset your metabolism, that theory has been debunked, says Robert Kushner, the clinical director of the Comprehensive Center on Obesity at Northwestern University and chair of the American Board of Obesity Medicine. "Ketosis is your body's last resort to keep you alive. It's an unhealthy situation to be in," he says. During ketosis, your body forms ketones, which, if they build up, can cause bone damage and may affect brain and kidney function.

Jesus wailed. In 2013, there's a medical VIP out there who doesn't know the difference between ketosis and ketoacidosis? Wikipedia describes ketoacidosis in a similar way as what I've generally read:

Ketoacidosis is a pathological metabolic state marked by extreme and uncontrolled ketosis. In ketoacidosis, the body fails to adequately regulate ketone production causing such a severe accumulation of keto acids that the pH of the blood is substantially decreased. In extreme cases ketoacidosis can be fatal.[1]
Ketoacidosis is most common in untreated type 1 diabetes mellitus, when the liver breaks down fat and proteins in response to a perceived need for respiratory substrate. Prolonged alcoholism may lead to alcoholic ketoacidosis. (emphasis added)

Ketosis just means you're using fat for fuel. We're in ketosis when we wake up. This is bad?

The author (Hallie Levine Sklar) says elsewhere in the magazine, "They told me to eat 500 to 700 calories a day. But I work and have three kids under five, so I can't imagine realistically subsisting on that." Good for her. And may she and Linda Wells both come on over to low-carb living: lattes made with heavy cream, all the calories they want, and the energy to run around with three little kids. No drugs, boot camp or blisters needed.

Source: Allure Magazine, July 2013.

Comments

tess said…
Every time i hear someone claim to have debunked something, i know they're a goddam FRAUD. the only person in history ever to do a good debunk is Denise Minger. ;-)
Anonymous said…
Re-tox! I love it!!
Lori Miller said…
Somebody needs to go around debunking the debunkers.
Lori Miller said…
When you've paid for a ticket to hell to lose eight lousy pounds, a sense of humor comes in handy.
Anonymous said…
Denise can debunk someone to an inch of their lives without ever being mean and nasty. Which is a real skill.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...