Skip to main content

Vintage Starvation Diet is Still Around

Some readers know I love the Golden Era (c. 1920-1963): I swing dance, live in a hundred-year-old house, and grow old garden roses. A recent acquaintance even asked me if I drove a Studebaker. I just finished a book that combined my interests in history and health: The Great Starvation Experiment by Todd Tucker. In 1944-45, a group of 36 American men, all conscientious objectors, volunteered for a year-long study on starvation. Ancel Keys (of lipid hypothesis fame) ran the tightly controlled experiment.

Dr. Michael Eades blogged about the book awhile back and noted the macronutrient balance of a typical subject:
The men in this study consumed macronutrients in the following amounts daily: protein 100 gm, fat 30 gm, and carbohydrate 225 gm. If you express these intakes as percentages, you come up with 25.5% protein, 17.2% fat and 57.3% carbohydrate.

Average energy intake of the subjects in the experiment: 1570 calories per day. (emphasis mine)


The men also had to walk 22 miles each week. The experiment was designed to simulate conditions in famine areas of Europe, with foods like cabbage, pea soup, potatoes, whole wheat bread, and very little meat. Indeed, the men looked like concentration camp victims at the end of the starvation phase. They lost some of their coordination, concentration, interest in anything but food, and of course much of their strength, energy and spirit. At one point, two of the pacifists got into a fistfight over a piece of macaroni in the lunch line. Yet even the end of the war in Europe--an event that had Americans literally dancing in the street--didn't excite them. Their lack of reaction reminded me of pictures of the thin, solemn prisoners at liberated concentration camps.

Is it fair to say this isn't a good diet for health and fitness, both mental and physical? Can I get an amen?

I'd heard that after the war, the information on concentration camp diets--the diet that kept prisoners alive and working but hungry and weary--was for sale and became the basis for modern diet programs. (The starvation study wasn't fully written up and published until 1950.) I don't know if that's true, but out of curiosity, I checked a few popular diet plans of today. The following quotes are from WebMD.com (who doesn't necessarily endorse the diets). Compare the calories and carb, protein and fat composition with the starvation diet, noted above.

Jenny Craig
Nutritionally, they reflect the 2005 federal guidelines and USDA food pyramid, and contain 50% to 60% carbohydrate, 20% to 25% protein, and 20% to 25% fat.
The article also mentions "tiny portions" and "physical activity."

Nutrisystem:
Women follow a 1,200-calorie plan and men are allowed 1,500 calories per day....The diet is made up of 55% carbohydrates, 25% protein, and 20% fat....Exercise is recommended.
LA Weight Loss:
The LA Weight Loss Centers plan is in line with national recommendations of approximately 50%-55% carbohydrates, 25%-30% protein, and 20%-25% fat. Emphasis is on moderation and portion control.

Here's a sample meal plan for a 1,500-calorie diet...
Dr. Andrew Weil:
Eat less, exercise more....Carbohydrates...50-60% of your calories...Fats up to 30%...Protein...should be limited to 10-20%.
These plans look a lot like the Great Starvation Experiment. And note that LA Weight Loss and Jenny Craig state that they follow the USDA food pyramid (our national guidelines. Did anyone in the USDA read the study the government funded?) As you might guess, the USDA recommends that for losing weight...eat fewer calories.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...