Skip to main content

Are Coupons and Deals Worth It?

Coupon savings: pennies or Benjamins? Photo from Unsplash.
 

When you think of coupons, do you still imagine cutting out 25-cent coupons for canned goods or junk food from a newspaper? These days, you can get coupons online or in the mail and save a lot more than spare change. I'm not an affiliate for any of the stores mentioned here. 

CVS

With an Extra Care card (it's free of charge), you can go to cvs.com and virtually clip coupons or get them printed out on your receipt. They also mailed me a coupon for 30% off my entire regular-price order--and I made a CVS haul with it. I stocked up cleaning supplies, toilet paper, toothpaste, drinks, coffee, and even avocado oil.

The coupon was worth $55. Totally worth the three seconds it took to cut out.

Credit Card Rewards

The trick to using credit card rewards is to buy only what you'd buy anyway and then pay the balance. Banking online, autopay and reminders on your calendar make this easy. My credit card gives me 2% cash back on all purchases. 

I've had the card only eight months; that's $38.30 per month in free money.


Veteran? First Responder, Nurse or Teacher?

If so, there are deals at id.me on everything from ATVs to yoga pants. After getting a veteran ID through the site, I signed up for 10% discounts at Home Depot and Lowes. I've saved $160 at Home Depot this year (where I bought my range). I buy online and then pick up since you have to show a code on your phone when you buy in-store, and the data connection there is unreliable. 

If you want cash back through id.me, you'll need a PayPal account.

Veterans can also register for a free city bus pass in Indianapolis. (No savings for me since I don't ride the bus.) 

Shopping the Sales

Primal Kitchen, which sells condiments, dressings, sauces and gravies made of good quality ingredients, has sales all the time. (I buy their delicious Collagen Fuel.) I saved $62 on shrubs at Proven Winners this week when they were 20% off and $235 on pants on Black Friday when they were half off. 

Conclusion

I've saved $869 this year, not including gas, grocery and other savings I haven't kept track of. The only real effort I had to put in was getting a veteran ID card and unfreezing my credit temporarily to get a new credit card. It was worth it!

Comments

These days it pays to shop wisely.
There are some good deals, loyalty cards etc. around.

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...