Skip to main content

Tight Pants, Colds, and Dairy-Free Fermentation

Pants Don't Fit? It Might be the Pants

If the clothes-o-meter says you're gaining weight, it might be the clothes that are off. Half the ladies' blouses I recently bought are medium sized (I normally take a small) and the jeans I just bought are smaller than the ones from before, even though they're they same brand, cut and size. 

They're smaller in the thighs, too.

I thought I'd had too much prebiotic fiber.

This doesn't seem to be a one-off. One reviewer who bought the same jeans said she bought them a size up to wear over tights, but couldn't get them on even without tights. Over at Talbots--which normally carries high quality clothes--several reviewers complained about undersized jeans. 

Click to enlarge (the screenshot--alas, it doesn't work on jeans)

Of course, if your jeans used to fit--well, jeans don't shrink from sitting in a drawer. 

Another Cold Averted?

Regular readers know I'm prone to respiratory illnesses. But my last cold only lasted 12 hours (short COVID, maybe?) and I just spent a week feeling tired and kind of cold. I wasn't coughing or sneezing and didn't have a fever. But I was so tired and congested that I asked my hairstylist if he wanted me to reschedule, take a COVID test or just come in. (He asked me to get a COVID test and wear a mask.) Whatever it is, it feels like it's going away. I credit the probiotics I'm taking (fermented Biotiquest Immunity). 

Dairy-free Shirota 

I'm also fermenting L. casei Shirota, a bacteria that helps with respiratory infections. But since I have enough yogurt, I thought I'd ferment something different. A few research papers said the bacteria ferments fructose, so I used green bananas and coconut milk. The critters loved the bananas--in 36 hours, they turned them into mush. But it's delicious mush!

Shirota Bananas

  • 2 green bananas
  • 1 can coconut milk (no gums or thickeners--Native Forest Simple is a good brand)
  • 1 cabbage leaf (the internet says it keeps the bananas from turning brown)
  • 1 bottle Yakult

Pour the Yakult and coconut milk in a quart Mason jar and stir. Cut the bananas into thin slices, add them to the jar and stir them in. Add the cabbage leaf. Loosely put the lid on the jar. Put it in an insulated grocery bag or camper cooler with a heating pad set to medium. Ferment for 36 hours. Refrigerate when finished.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Long-Term Experience Eating Safe (and Other) Starches

Years ago, before the Perfect Health Diet came out, I followed a program that involved eating quite a bit "safe starch." It was called Body for Life. It involved eating six small servings of carbohydrate along with six small servings of protein, plus two servings of fibrous vegetables per day. (A serving was the size of your fist or the palm of your hand.) There were six workouts a week (three weightlifting, three cardio) and one free day every week where you ate whatever you wanted and didn't exercise. In all fairness, these two programs are different: BFL allows certain grains, legumes and low-fat dairy and discourages fat. It doesn't call for a wheelbarrow full of vegetation. Nevertheless, my experience eating lots of fruit and lots of starch is relevant to the PHD because the amount and type of digestible carbohydrates are similar, and for the first few years, I didn't eat wheat except on free days. At first on BFL, I felt great. Before, I was continually...

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...