Skip to main content

Protests over Vaccine Mandates

You wouldn't know it by looking at mainstream media, but millions of people around the world are protesting vaccine mandates, courageously facing water cannons, rubber bullets and beatings. In some countries, vaccine passports are required to go to your workplace; elsewhere, citizens have to send the government a selfie within minutes to show where they are. Proof of prior infection isn't accepted. Unvaccinated Australians are going to face steep fines simply for being unvaccinated. Link to video here. 


The reporters in the video pose the question, Why aren't more Americans protesting in the streets? Part of the answer is cultural, but mostly, the answer is practical. Protests here don't accomplish anything--unless it's your union picketing and shutting down business. Several years ago, a movement called Occupy Wall Street camped out for months in cities around the country--they even camped out through the winter in Civic Center Park in Denver. They accomplished nada. 

Last year, as BLM protests turned into riots, businesses put up "don't hurt me" signs and sent out press releases and emails telling everyone how anti-racist they were. Some uber-liberal metros defunded their police departments. But away from those areas, police officers and civilians marched together and danced the Cupid Shuffle. Various police reforms ended up passing, but they mostly affected the small minority of people who have run-ins with the police. A year on, the defunded police officers are now serving in places like South Dakota and Florida where there are brand-new anti-rioting laws, while Portland is trying to hire more police but finding out there are no refunds after defunds. Meanwhile, businesses and local governments have enacted vaccine requirements that disproportionately harm minorities--a harm that suddenly doesn't bother liberals anymore. So much for all the anti-racist rhetoric inspired by last year's protests.

Rather than appealing to the government by protesting, Americans are more inclined to take matters into our own hands. Here in flyover country, people are largely ignoring mask mandates. Last year, police officers across the country refused to enforce emergency orders they believed were unconstitutional. Police and civilians alike have moved to cities and states that better suit them. They've changed employers or called in sick en masse when faced with vaccine mandates. No--nurses aren't suddenly quitting because of stress and Southwest Airlines didn't cancel 1,000 flights last week because of the weather. 

Even government has fought back against government power. Legislatures in Indiana, Ohio, Kentucky, and Florida limited emergency powers; voters in Michigan and Pennsylvania did the same. Several states banned government entities from requiring proof of vaccination and now governors and state attorneys general are ready to sue if an OSHA vaccine mandate goes through. 

I think it's a combination of culture and government structure that's helped put a damper on vaccine mandates in the US. I don't know why they've gone so far elsewhere. I'm proud of the people in Europe, Israel and especially Australia who are facing down the police--but why are their police using water cannons on them? Just taking orders? Perverse incentives? Cultural differences? We have some bad cops in the US, but for all the rhetoric about what a violent country we have, most of them would join the march. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Long-Term Experience Eating Safe (and Other) Starches

Years ago, before the Perfect Health Diet came out, I followed a program that involved eating quite a bit "safe starch." It was called Body for Life. It involved eating six small servings of carbohydrate along with six small servings of protein, plus two servings of fibrous vegetables per day. (A serving was the size of your fist or the palm of your hand.) There were six workouts a week (three weightlifting, three cardio) and one free day every week where you ate whatever you wanted and didn't exercise. In all fairness, these two programs are different: BFL allows certain grains, legumes and low-fat dairy and discourages fat. It doesn't call for a wheelbarrow full of vegetation. Nevertheless, my experience eating lots of fruit and lots of starch is relevant to the PHD because the amount and type of digestible carbohydrates are similar, and for the first few years, I didn't eat wheat except on free days. At first on BFL, I felt great. Before, I was continually...

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...