Skip to main content

Medical Tourism to Appalachia? + Cool Stuff & New Blogger

Medical Tourism

Many of us who direct our own health care get lab tests to see our levels of vitamin D, triglycerides, hormones, etc. Living here in freewheeling Indiana, I can order my own, but at least one member of Dr. Davis's Inner Circle drives from Pennsylvania to West Virginia for labs since Pennsylvania makes you get a doctor's permission slip. Coincidentally, one of my neighbors with special medical needs sees a doctor in Kentucky. 

Photo from Pixabay.

Others may be joining them in their medical tourism to Appalachia. New York's 80,000 health care vacancies, brought about by the new governor's vaccine mandate, are supposed to be filled by national guardsmen and health care workers with foreign or out-of-state licenses. There was already a shortage of health care workers, and there are bound to be inefficiencies in bringing in a bunch of new staff. Meantime, there are hospitals in Kentucky allowing health care workers to have weekly testing in lieu of vaccination. Likewise in Cincinnati and Dayton, Ohio, which aren't in Appalachia, but close to the Kentucky border. They're an hour's drive from my house should the hospital systems here in Indy--all of which have vaccine mandates--be full up. Lawsuits are in the works against the federal mandate (OSHA hasn't written the rules yet), but most hospitals aren't showing any sign of correcting course. Hesitant health care workers just need "more education." 

Alternatively, there may be a free market health care provider at a more convenient location to you. (I don't have any affiliation with them.)

Cool Stuff

Shortages are still on, but I've found or made a few things I love.

Stick Blender

I like the idea of making my own mayonnaise or hummus because I don't use seed oils, but cleaning the blender or Cuisinart is such a hassle that I often buy an acceptable (and expensive) version or do without. But the stick blender I just bought makes it faster and easier. It came with a small bowl and blade, so I can mix hummus, remove the S blade, and put it straight in the refrigerator. When I blended canned coconut milk, I only had to clean the blade and stick. There was no liquid splattering around, like there is with egg beaters, no blender to take apart and clean, and no lumps. I bought the Oster--I decided against the Cuisinart because reviewers said it now has an inconvenient safety switch on top that you have to press while using. It would take both of my child-size hands to operate it.

Lypo Gold 

This is an enzyme to help digest fat, but it also has enzymes for protein and carbohydrate digestion. It's made a major difference in how I feel--my stomach is calmer after meals, my heart isn't pounding, and it completely cured my diarrhea. I buy it from Amazon (I'm not an affiliate with them, either). It's expensive, but it has a high number of enzymes. 

Homemade Kimchi

This is almost as easy to make as yogurt and has the benefits of Lactobacillus brevis: it's good for GI health, helps normalize blood sugar, reduce allergies, and has other benefits. I used jalapeño peppers instead of Korean paprika (I'd have to go out of my way to find it, whereas jalapeños grow in the garden). But while I was massaging the cabbage and daikon radishes with salt, it occurred to me that I was sterilizing the jars, as the recipe called for, while rubbing the ingredients with my hands, also as the recipe called for. Next time, I will just wash the jars, same as I do for yogurt. Course correction--it's a wonderful thing!

New Blogger

Alex Berenson, investigative journalist, book author and former New York Times reporter, has been blogging about the unreported truths of the pandemic and especially COVID vaccines since before he was kicked off of Twitter for observing that the vaccines are really just symptom relievers. He's paying special attention to places like Israel and the UK where they vaccinated widely and early. If you like spicy takes and miss lively comment sections, head on over to Unreported Truths.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Long-Term Experience Eating Safe (and Other) Starches

Years ago, before the Perfect Health Diet came out, I followed a program that involved eating quite a bit "safe starch." It was called Body for Life. It involved eating six small servings of carbohydrate along with six small servings of protein, plus two servings of fibrous vegetables per day. (A serving was the size of your fist or the palm of your hand.) There were six workouts a week (three weightlifting, three cardio) and one free day every week where you ate whatever you wanted and didn't exercise. In all fairness, these two programs are different: BFL allows certain grains, legumes and low-fat dairy and discourages fat. It doesn't call for a wheelbarrow full of vegetation. Nevertheless, my experience eating lots of fruit and lots of starch is relevant to the PHD because the amount and type of digestible carbohydrates are similar, and for the first few years, I didn't eat wheat except on free days. At first on BFL, I felt great. Before, I was continually...

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...