Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Lawyers, Guns and Money

Mom (to a family friend): What do I have to do to get a permit to carry a gun?
Me: Should I get a bulletproof vest?
Mom: If things keep going this way.

Don't worry--Mom was just kidding. Most Americans (us included) would rather sue than shoot each other. Still, I was surprised when a lawyer representing my mother called me today. My mother wanted to delay the estate sale by a month. But the estate sale company is set to start setting up the sale on Monday, and it's too late for them to fill in two weeks with another client. I told Mom the company would suffer damages and they could sue her. So the sale is (still) on.

Meantime, I came down with a bad cold yesterday. The room has stopped spinning and I've stopped shivering in a 77-degree house, but I'm still barking like a seal.

It'll all pass.


9 comments:

tess said...

what a year you're having! :-( feel better soon!

Lori Miller said...

You know how they say that beyond a certain level of stress, more stress doesn't matter? I think I'm at that point.

Galina L. said...

Good diet is a help, but it can't always cancel out effects of other things, stress being a good example (also poor sleep, hormonal issues, jet lagging ets.).
I know a good use for solanines. In Eastern European tradition inhaling steam (pot is off stove, on the table, head and pot are covered with a towel) from boiled potato skins is a renown remedy for respiratory tract infections, especially cough. I guess, yucca skins should work too. I also like to add to skins handful of eucalypti leaves, mint leaves, essential oils like peppermint could be added too.

Lori Miller said...

Thanks--I'll give the potato skins a try. I'd like to quit coughing.

Galina L. said...

You can even add Viporub into the steaming water. Unfortunately, cough is not the easy thing to heal fast.

Lowcarb team member said...

Hope you feel better very soon

All the best Jan

Lori Miller said...

Thanks, Jan.

Val said...

Eeeek!!!
GET WELL SOON - I've recently climbed back on the Vit C bandwagon to try to shake off the vestiges of this lingering sinus crud I'm fighting off... (2 g daily)

Lori Miller said...

I'm taking 20,000 IU of vitamin D a day and a zinc cough drop here and there. I'm almost well.