Skip to main content

Quest Bars, Coconut Milk Hazards, and More

I used to love Quest bars. They were an easy snack or even a light meal replacement with low carbs and no junky ingredients. Those ingredients have changed, though. They now contain erythritol (sugar alcohol) and corn fiber. Since I'm one of those people who can't eat erythritol without getting stomach cramps, I won't be eating any more Quest bars. 

Likewise, certain brands of coconut milk. Several brands contain guar gum, a thickener, which also gives me a stomach ache. Emulsifiers like guar gum can thin the mucus in your gut, allowing things into your bloodstream that don't belong there. I was feeling bloated and getting facial edema after having coconut milk with guar gum. Since changing to a brand without it (Native Forest), the problems have disappeared. 

Oddly, Splenda (sucralose) doesn't seem to bother me. 

* * * * *

A friend who gave me a little bit of a hard time about being unvaccinated just got COVID. Fortunately, he's doing OK. Three years ago, I thought that if a bad flu-like pandemic hit, it would surely kill me since I'm prone to respiratory illnesses. Yet here I am--no shot, no COVID, and as of last year, no antibodies. I'm one of the few people at work--maybe the only one--who hasn't had COVID. I credit Dr. Davis's Undoctored program. Hardly anyone on the program who chats on the Inner Circle site has mentioned getting a bad case of it, even though many members were at high risk.

* * * * *

Lately I've been binge-watching videos that have a ring of truth to them, even if they aren't that relevant to me. I've watched a designer whose sense of style I don't share discuss the shortcomings of various trendy items. I've watched screen writers discuss why movies today are so bad. I've watched doctors I don't always agree with give their honest opinions about COVID based on available data. I especially liked an English gardener discuss the pros and cons of what to do with a shady corner (there are no easy answers to this). 

Granted, most entertainment now is completely unwatchable, so YouTubers with some talent and skills don't have that high a bar to clear. But most of their appeal is giving honest, well-considered and constructive opinions. The screenwriters describe several ways movies and shows can go wrong, so maybe that's why I can't put my finger on why almost all of them now are so bad aside from characters not acting like real people. The news is mostly crazy-making and pot-stirring. 

So just as I did two years ago, I unsubscribed from a bunch of crazy-makers. I spent some pleasant hours making plans for my garden. I cleaned my house and played with my dog. I'm happier. 

Comments

Television is not what it used to be!
We watch quite a few YouTube videos, so many to choose from :)

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...