Skip to main content

Better without Guar Gum & Erythritol

Since ditching the guar gum and erythritol, I feel like I'm 41 again. It was the age I started doing low-carb and had the energy I should have had in my 20s. The problems I had until recently--the pounding heart and breathlessness--are gone. 

With this newfound energy, I dug up a boxwood bush and a juniper and potted them for a focal point among my raised beds, having dismantled the fire pit and put the stones along a border by the garage. Tonight I moved some of the beds a few inches to make room for pavers. The spaces between the beds have a thick mat of weeds, thick enough to make weeding a major undertaking, but not thick enough to stop erosion. Back in Denver in a dry, shady part of my yard, it took me years to win the battle of the goatheads in the driveway reclamation area. I'm not going to win such a battle in lush, green Indiana where my weeds are inches from rich soil of raised beds. 

"Use gravel for paths!" people say. "Use wood mulch!" "Use landscape fabric!" A few years ago, I spent an unpleasant day pulling landscape fabric out from under gravel and weeds. Weeds here grow right through gravel and tiny critters eat wood mulch for lunch. Mulch and other dead plant material quickly become soil on top of landscape fabric and weeds move in. It even happens in the gutters of abandoned houses--little trees sprout in them. 

So on an impulse yesterday, I ordered some mats made of recycled tires for the paths between the raised beds...then found out they can leach chemicals and minerals. I don't need chemicals in my vegetables, and Indianapolis doesn't need any more soil contamination than it already has. While chemical contamination does fit the the pre-war theme of my yard, I'm nevertheless trying to cancel my order. 

I've decided on cement pavers instead. Not only are they free of weird chemicals, they're a lot cheaper. Weeds are going to sprout around them, but I'm hoping they'll be easy to keep in check with a weed whacker. The pavers will hold the soil in place, too. 

To make enough room for a double-row of pavers, I moved three raised beds a few inches. It was surprisingly easy considering they had soil in them. 

I've had more mental energy, too. Six years ago when I moved here, I tried to learn how to work with databases with the aim of getting a better job. But once I got a stressful job at Adidas, I didn't have the energy to continue, and after getting a better job, I gave it up. Now, though, I've put together some fairly complicated spreadsheets involving power queries and functions. They're not complicated by the standards of professional programmers, but now my coworkers can find the status of their documents and see how tax returns are coming along without looking at screen shots or having a manager spend an hour updating three spreadsheets. The information only takes a few clicks to update.

Life's been a lot better without the weird chemicals. I'll update with pictures when I get the pavers in.

Comments

Pleased you are feeling better.
Looking forward to seeing your photographs.

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...