Skip to main content

Schedule Labs, Procedures NOW

Our health care heroes who worked through the pandemic are now getting fired if they won't take one of the experimental COVID vaccines. It started with a few major hospitals, but others are now following the institutional imperative. 

Hospitals are already short-staffed and this policy can only make it worse. Just last week, ten hospitals in Indianapolis were on diversion, meaning they were too full to accept new patients. One ambulance driver had to take a patient eighty miles away. The article linked to says it's not because of COVID or a lack of beds, but a shortage of nurses. 

Indy hospitals aren't alone. Lots of nurses nationwide retired during the pandemic, there's a backlog of patients who put off care, and now some nurses are leaving over vaccine mandates. Even companies that have nothing to do with health care and whose jobs don't put employees at any elevated risk for catching COVID have jumped on the bandwagon. 

So far, I haven't seen any labs issue mandates, but scheduling an appointment now for any needed lab work might prevent a long delay. Likewise, any medical procedures. 

Photo from Pexels.

What can you do if you're already waiting for a procedure--or if you're a medical professional looking for a job without a jab? You can look at independent surgery centers here at the Free Market Medical Association. I don't know for certain that members of this organization don't require employee vaccination, but their libertarian spirit suggests they don't. (I don't have any connection to them or any of their members.) Their procedures are a fraction of what hospitals charge since they don't deal with Medicare or insurance companies. If you're uninsured or have a high deductible, they might save you a lot of money. If you're waiting on medical care in Canada, they might save your life. 

Will hospitals reinstate employees if patients start piling up and employees are even more overworked? I'm not so sure. Hospitals are businesses, even the so-called nonprofit ones. Having enough medical professionals available seems like more of a life-saving strategy than a marginally helpful vaccine. So does having more and cheaper medical care available, even if it's through a competitor. Yet competing hospitals tried repeatedly to get their government cronies to shut down the Oklahoma Surgery Center, then changed their fee structure to try to put them out of business. Hospitals prevent other medical centers from opening through CON (certificate of need) laws. Hospitals perform a lot of unnecessary heart procedures by scaring people (sound familiar?), according to Dr. Davis, who used to be a cardiologist at a hospital. Did these hospitals get a check from Pfizer for these mandates? Do they just need to save money due to a lack of revenue last year, and don't want to pay unemployment or look like the bad guy? These reasons seem more likely. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...