Skip to main content

Why Grain-Based Diet Recommendations are Finished

Is that a pork chop? This looks a lot like a low-carb diet.

Bye-bye, Ancel Keys. You were on the cover of Time once, sternly warning readers about cholesterol. Now the agencies you once guided are about to throw you under the bus for three reasons:


  1. Well-done intervention studies have shown the superiority of low-carb diets v. high-carb diets in terms of weight loss and lipids. This is the reason that sounds good. The rest of the story is that the the effects of insulin and carbohydrates on hunger and weight gain have been well-known for a long time--so long that they're described in endocrinology textbooks. Before that, weight gain from starchy diet was described in literature from the nineteenth century.
  2. The well-done intervention studies and the Internet have made it impossible for health "charities" to continue advising high-carb diets for diabetes and weight gain without fear of lawsuits. The Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics did enough applauding of the science and the USDA's positive reaction to it to give themselves carpal tunnel, but really, their lawyers must have told them they needed to swallow their pride, get with the times and cover their asses. Nobody stands up and applauds when they find out they've been horribly wrong.
  3. The USDA as a government agency wouldn't be subject to lawsuits from people who suffered amputation, blindness, neuropathy and kidney failure from following the advice they pushed, just irrelevance and ridicule. But now that Obamacare is in place and young, healthy people haven't exactly rushed to sign up, the costs of amputation, blindness, neuropathy and kidney failure and the medications needed to prevent them for people with the genes for diabetes will be too much to bear. Those who are very sick from diabetes--or IBS, other GI problems, heart disease, autoimmune problems, and other illnesses caused by a diet perfect for fattening livestock--not only need a lot of care, god bless them, but as a group are less able to be productive, or pay taxes, to put a sharp point on it. Pharmaceutical companies might dream of a population on medications from cradle to grave, but there must be people in the federal government up nights wondering how they're going to pay for it.


Now that groups like the AHA and ADA can't promote a grain-based diet and sugar anymore without fear of reprisal, it'll be interesting to see who they whore themselves out to next.

Comments

Galina L. said…
The new recommendation did left me wondering - what the hell finally got the message through?
Lori Miller said…
These groups have to have known for a long time that the diets they promoted were devastating to the people they purported to represent. But newer, better studies, a slew of low-carb and paleo books, and an army of bloggers, podcasters and chat room moderators with easy access to Pubmed and an audience have overrun the gatekeepers. Dancers have a term that fits: highjacking the lead.
"But newer, better studies, a slew of low-carb and paleo books, and an army of bloggers, podcasters and chat room moderators with easy access to Pubmed and an audience have overrun the gatekeepers."

... and we all do our best to keep spreading the news about healthier ways.

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...