Skip to main content

Vitamin D May Not Help a Cold. Maybe Avoiding Sugar Does.

I just found this from the Vitamin D Council:

Also, readers should be aware (if they are not already) that vitamin D does not prevent all viral respiratory infections. As we noted in correspondence to our first influenza paper, rhinoviruses, the most common cause of the common cold, are not seasonal; that is, they are just as common in the summer as in the winter, and they do not have a lipoprotein coat for antimicrobial peptides to destroy....If you are already taking 5,000 IU a day and you get a cold, chances are that more vitamin D will not help much. No one should take large doses for more than a few days and then only if the infection is severe(1)

However, vitamin D levels are inversely associated with upper respiratory tract infections.(2) If you haven't been taking any vitamin D, a moderate dose might help.

Nevertheless, I have (mostly) gotten over my cold faster than some acquaintances, who came down with colds before I did and are still sick. (One coworker sounded like a one-man sick ward. Same kind of cold as mine, too--lots of mucus and a sore throat.)  Maybe it was the fat fast; maybe it's because I don't knock back any orange juice or lozenges. If you drink three cups of orange juice and take four lozenges, that's 100 grams of sugar. Sugar may suppress your immune system (3) and the vitamin C in the orange juice may or may not help a cold.(4) During an illness, your blood glucose level is already higher than normal; adding another hundred grams of sugar a day could push some people's BG to a toxic level. Going from 100 to 140, for instance, isn't a big leap. In diabetics, infection is more likely to occur with high blood sugar; perhaps that applies to the rest of us, too.

Since people generally don't have an appetite when they have a cold, it's a good time to go on a short fat fast or intermittent fast to reduce inflammation in general, anyway. (My fat fast was a whole lot easier than it was last time. I didn't keep track of calories or fat content, but I didn't eat much, and everything was high in fat. The ketostick today showed light ketones.) I can't say whether the fat fast reduced inflammation or not. But in spite of having a lot of mucus, I wasn't congested after Sunday night, so my nasal passages might not have been very inflamed. (I know the Mucinex helped.)

Anecdotally, low-carbers have few colds and get over them faster than their acquaintances. This may be from taking adequate vitamin D, eating a high-nutrient diet and having normal blood sugar levels.

  1. Newsletter: Even More Vitamin D Questions and Answers by John Cannell, MD. April 1, 2010. 
  2. "Association Between Serum 25-Hydroxyvitamin D Level and Upper Respiratory Tract Infection in the Third National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey."Adit A. Ginde, MD, MPH; Jonathan M. Mansbach, MD; Carlos A. Camargo Jr, MD, DrPH Arch Intern Med. 2009;169(4):384-390. doi:10.1001/archinternmed.2008.560. 
  3. "Dear Mark: Sugar as an Immune Suppressant." by Mark Sisson. Mark's Daily Apple, March 29, 2010. 
  4. "Vitamin C for preventing and treating the common cold" by Harri Hemilä, Elizabeth Chalker and Bob Douglas. The Cochrane Library, July 18, 2007.

Comments

Galina L. said…
We have in our family history an account of a person (my mom's uncle) who got a tuberculosis during World War, antibiotics were just discovered not available for a general population then, he sold all valuables he had including his antic furniture,all rugs,only bare walls were left in his dwelling, and he used that money to buy eggs , butter and salted pork fat on a black market. So, he ate high fat high cholesterol foods till he got better, he died from an old age many years later. I suspect during that time of hunger the standard diet was low in sugar anyway.
Lori Miller said…
I'm glad he lived to a ripe old age. In the US, a lot of people used to come to Swedish Hospital here in Denver for treatment of TB; they put the patients in beds out in the sunshine.

Sad to say, though, one of my neighbors in her 60s died of the flu a few years ago. She was on a low-fat diet on doctor's orders.
"having normal blood sugar levels." ........
and doing your best to keep them normal I am sure helps everyone to keep as fit and healthy as possible from the common cold to something more serious.

Glad you are feeling better Lori

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Just found this at the diabetes update blog: "Unfortunately, because high blood sugar weakens the immune system, diabetes can create a vicious circle where inflammation raises blood sugar which deactivates the immune system components that should fight the inflammation, allowing the inflammation to increase, and further raising blood sugar." http://diabetesupdate.blogspot.com/2010/02/inflammation-raises-blood-sugar.html
A bunch of orange juice, toast, crackers, chicken noodle soup and other junk sick people are encouraged to eat may well put non-diabetics at diabetic BG levels.
Slightly raised blood sugar during an illness is probably a good thing--from an evolutionary standpoint, it probably suppressed hunger and allowed people to rest and get well instead of run themselves ragged looking for food.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...