Skip to main content

Carb Creep, Thanksgiving, Dogs, Chickens and Worms

Carb Control Works Again
Something that just happened makes me wonder how often low carb diets "stop working" for people because they don't realize the extent of their carb creep. The scale and the clothes-o-meter told me last week that I was gaining weight. I had to face the idea that I can't eat peanut M&Ms without gaining. weight. Just by cutting out my few handfuls of M&Ms every day, I'm down four pounds. That doesn't sound like much, but on me, it makes the difference between having a flat belly and having the beginning of a pot belly.

What really struck me, though, was how much better I felt. Once again, I can run on six hours' sleep. My head feels clearer and I've started on projects I meant to do months ago. A coworker happened to give up the M&Ms at the same time and noticed how much better she felt, too. As she put it, you know all that sugar has to be bad for you if you feel so much better without it.


Who Says Thanksgiving is a Fat Fest?
My orthodontist is hosting a charity drive to collect Thanksgiving food. I've taken the list of food he's requested and made a table showing fat and carbohydrate content. Note that the list doesn't include desserts or rolls (or gravy, in all fairness), but, with the exception of the mac & cheese and cranberry sauce, things generally regarded as real food.

Uploaded at http://www.slideshare.net/lorimiller/thanksgiving-nutrition


A Dog Walks in to a Chicken Swap
I took my dog, Molly, to the chicken swap yesterday to see how she'd act around the birds. She was curious but well-behaved. It was the chickens that got excited--except for the naked neck chickens, who hardly noticed her when she put her face up to their cage. They were ugly as vultures, and I wanted beautiful birds, but I want harmony in my home even more. The owner said that despite their bare necks, they do well in cold weather and they have little combs that don't frostbite. They're not flighty, either.

Turkens, or naked-neck chickens. They keep calm and carry on. When you look like this, you have to have something going for you. Image from Braided Bower Farm.
Molly did get excited by a rooster fleeing its owner. When the rooster saw Molly, he unfurled his wings and ran faster than I ever thought a chicken could go. But Molly didn't strain on the leash, and she got in the car without much trouble. It was the chicken that gave its owner a lot of trouble.


Drama in the Worm Bin
The worms are growing and possibly reproducing. At least, I don't remember any of the worms being that big when I dug the out of the ground--and some of the other worms are tinier than what I remember digging up. A few are no longer with us. The rest favor cucumbers.

Comments

tess said…
i think we all have our favorite "low-carb equivalent" foods which short-circuit our progress. :-) even some "legal" foods don't agree with us, and we don't know it till we eliminate them. my husband discovered that dairy was holding him back, AND contributing to eczema, much to his surprise.
Lori Miller said…
I had to quit most dairy, too. Even heavy, organic, pastured cream gives me acne and other problems.
"Carb creep" can happen so much easier than people realise. Once you've found what does work for you stick to it!

Really enjoy hearing about the chickens and your dog, thanks for sharing

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...