Skip to main content

Catalyst Program on Cholesterol and Saturated Fat: What to Believe?

Regular Janes and Joes who watched the TV program Catalyst: Heart of the Matter on saturated fat, cholesterol and heart disease are probably confused now. What is this idea that saturated fat is good for you and that sugar and inflammation may cause heart disease? Everybody knows that saturated fat and cholesterol are bad, right?

Regular Janes and Joes don't need to be doctors or scientists to consider some of the evidence for themselves. Or in this case, the lack of evidence. For forty years, and using hundreds of thousands of people, researchers have been trying to prove that saturated fat and cholesterol cause heart disease. The result, according to Dr. Robert Grenfell of the National Heart Foundation of Australia:

When you ask that question of 'Do dietary fats increase heart disease?', you're sort of trying to negate all the other risk factors that, in fact, actually also cause heart disease. So, to imagine creating a study that would prove that conclusively is virtually impossible.

To see this answer for what it is, let's ask a slightly different question: if someone sticks pins in your voodoo doll, will it give you heart disease? The answer would be,

When you ask that question of 'Do voodoo dolls increase heart disease?', you're sort of trying to negate all the other risk factors that, in fact, actually also cause heart disease. So, to imagine creating a study that would prove that conclusively is virtually impossible.
No, you're not trying to negate anything, you're asking a question you can put to a test. If you'd tested the effects of voodoo doll curses for forty years and the results were mixed and inconclusive, why not just say no, play with voodoo dolls all you want if it floats your boat. Australia's leading lipid expert, Associate Professor David Sullivan, is ready with an answer:

I think there are some very telling pieces of evidence which have been used to establish the importance of avoiding voodoo dolls saturated fat. If saturated fat is completely benign, if it's actually beneficial, where's the evidence in support of that? Where's the evidence of an alternative cause? We are particularly keen to get some dietary advice, because otherwise what do we offer people?

How about avoiding those things that Dr. Grenfell says "actually also cause heart disease," like smoking and diabetes. But what about saturated fat? Is it really harmless or beneficial? A little knowledge of metabolism is helpful here. The three macronutrients in the human diet are protein, fat and carbohydrate. You need protein for repairs and maintenance of your body, but you can't burn it (much) for energy. You can run on fat or carbohydrate.

For most of human history, going back 2.5 million years, our ancestors ran mostly on fat. Until 10,000 years ago, the climate was generally colder and drier than it is now, fruit was seasonal, and the technology to gather and cook grains in any meaningful amount was unknown. Only babies drank milk. What did humans and our ancestors eat? According to paleoanthropologist Richard Leakey and his colleagues, a substantial part of the human diet was meat. (See this, this and this.) For 2.5 million years, our digestive system, pancreas, teeth and especially our brain have adapted to running on fat. Why would one organ--the heart--be adapted to running on something else?

If you're still not sure about fat vs. carbohydrate, just consider how much fatter and sicker English-speaking populations have gotten since we reduced the fat in our diets from forty years ago. It's not only common observation, but the effect of carbohydrate on metabolism is in medical textbooks. For some people, running on carbohydrate is more like putting gasoline in a diesel engine because we know, from medical textbooks on hormones, that too much carbohydrate can lead to weight gain and diabetes. (See this and this.) Unlike cholesterol levels, diabetes is a well established risk factor for heart disease. It's also common sense (at least it used to be) that diabetics shouldn't eat sugar. All those carbolicious foods that heart organizations put their stamp of approval on (for a fee) quickly break down into glucose, which diabetics already have too much of.

Certain vitamins require dietary fat for good absorption--vitamins A, K2, E and D--and the term "essential fatty acids" is well known. These are good indications that fat is an important part of the human diet. But it's not up to skeptics to prove an idea wrong. The fat-phobes have been trying to prove for forty years that fat is bad for us, and they've failed. They've told us to eat less fat (i.e., more carbohydrate) and our collective health is failing. But they'll never admit their "science" is nothing more than voodoo. It's time to ditch the low-fat diet for common sense, real science, and for the win.

Comments

Great article Lori - it deserves more than 'great article' but apparently (according to husband Eddie) I was saying these two words out loud, whilst reading the posting.

I thought 'what the heck' I'll repeat them again.

Great Article

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Jan. I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Lisa said…
Have a look at the Heart Foundation's Facebook pagehttps://www.facebook.com/NationalHeartFoundation

It went into damage control after hundreds of Australians watched the program and demanded they stop spreading lies about their version of a healthy diet.
Lori Miller said…
I'm not on Facebook, but that's what I heard. As the song goes,

"They ran through the briars and they ran through the brambles, and they ran through the bushes where a rabbit couldn't go. They ran so fast that the hounds couldn't catch 'em, down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico."

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...