Skip to main content

My (Mostly) Lacto-Paleo, Cavity-healing Diet Update

For the past two and a half weeks, my dog and I have been on a mostly lacto-paleo diet to heal our cavities. It's a high-nutrient, high-fat, low-sugar diet that emulates what my northern European ancestors ate before the advent of farming. We've been eating meat, eggs, non-starchy vegetables (think salad ingredients), fish, olive oil, coconut oil, and a few nuts. That's the paleo part. We've also been eating cheese, sour cream, goat milk, cream and butter (the lacto part). We don't eat any grains or beans. However, I do eat a few chocolate candies a day, low-carb ice cream and a Zevia soda now and then. I also use a little bit of vinegar and xanthan gum, which aren't strictly paleo. I need a vice besides overdue library books.

Positive results so far:
  • We enjoy this food-especially Molly. She jumps for joy when I feed her.
  • I'm down a pound and Molly feels a little trimmer on our high-fat, high-nutrient, low-carb diet. Take that, Dr. Oz!
  • My third-day hair looks and feels clean. Usually, I need a shampoo by the end of day two.
  • No more chapped lips, even without Carmex.

Negative results so far:
  • I've been tired. Last weekend, I fell asleep during Hawaii 5-0 (the original show with Jack Lord--was there a cooler guy?) and took a four-hour nap Sunday night.
  • My skin has felt dry.
  • I've had some nasal congestion.
  • Irregularity.

Yesterday, after doing a bit of research, I started taking potassium and immediately felt better. My skin looks better, too. (Potassium helps regulate heartbeat, water retention and bowel movements. A lack of potassium can make you tired.) I may have to cut back on the dairy to decrease the congestion.

As for our teeth, they look about the same.

Comments

Angel said…
If I remember correctly, the progress in tooth rebuilding needed to be measured over several months (just checked ... Stephan mentioned that it was six months).

Sounds like you've transitioned to an even lower-carb diet than what you were doing previously. I guess as long as the potassium perks you up then you have no worries.

Hmmm ... I don't think a loss of hair oil is a good thing, personally. Maybe the potassium will bring that back up, too.

Is any of your dairy raw dairy? I know people who handle raw dairy just fine, but can't handle the store-bought stuff. Of course, I also know someone who can't even have raw dairy, so that varies.

Good luck with your tooth-rebuilding diet! A lot of people have posted about the tooth-rebuilding research, but no one, to my knowledge, has posted any current real-life results. I'm looking forward to finding out the (very likely positive) results of your diet, for you and the pup. :)
Lori Miller said…
Angel, thanks for the good wishes. John Durant at hunger-gatherer.com is also trying to heal some minor cavities with diet. I guess we'll see what the results are about the same time.

Here in Colorado, you can't buy raw milk, but you can buy a cow share and get raw milk that way. I realized this morning, though, that it was the goat milk that was congesting me. It reminded me how hard it can be to sort out food sensitivities.

On hair oil, my scalp isn't itchy and my hair isn't dry, so I'm not worried. On a similar note, I've notice my shirts barely smell like they've been worn.

Molly's doing well. Even though she's five years old, her teeth (except for her cavity) look almost as white as a puppy's. I'll post more photos over the next six months.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...