Skip to main content

The Cavity-healing Diet

Note: I'm reposting this with some edits. When I first wrote this article, I was under the impression that my dog had a tiny hole in her tooth that had healed (see photo). What looked like a pinhole may have been some crud on her tooth. I've also made another change in my diet. -Ed.

A week ago, I went on a cavity-healing diet and put my dog, Molly, on the same diet a few days later when I noticed she had a cavity in her lower-right canine.

As described in the highly researched book Cure Tooth Decay by Ramiel Nagel, the experiments of Weston A. Price showed children's cavities healed when they were fed one highly nutritious meal a day of tomato or orange juice with cod liver oil or high-vitamin butter, meat/bone marrow/vegetable stew, cooked fruit, milk, and rolls made from freshly ground wheat. (Note that this experiment and others like it were done in the 1920s and 1930s when meat and milk were from grass-fed, pasture-raised animals, wheat was very different in its genetics and processing from what it is today, and cod liver oil was the real stuff, not processed with synthetic vitamins added.) On just one great meal a day (the other meals were the children's usual fare at home), at six weeks, the children's tooth decay stopped. What was special about the meal? It was high in vitamins A, D and K and the minerals calcium and phosphorus.

What are Molly and I eating? Eggs, liver, cream, a little goat's milk, meat, sardines, bone marrow, and vegetables. The meat, eggs and dairy almost all come from pastured animals. No dog food, no grains, no starchy vegetables, no fruit. I allow Molly to indulge in a few nuts, and I eat two or three small chocolates and a few cups of coffee a day. Our diet is mostly lacto-paleo.

I've had to stop drinking raw eggs. The eggnog gave me congestion and and my homemade ice cream made my acid reflux return. It wasn't the dairy; this morning, I quit the eggnog and had a chai tea with the same amount of cream and milk as the eggnog, and my sinuses and throat feel almost back to normal. (The little bit of raw egg in homemade mayonnaise doesn't bother me.) From what I gather, being allergic to raw eggs, but not cooked eggs, is unusual.

Despite Dr. Price's use of bread in his experiments to heal cavities, typical grains lead to cavities unless they're properly prepared, says Nagel. The antinutrients (phytic acid and lectins) in grains, seeds and nuts bind to minerals and keep you from absorbing them. I've read elsewhere (the Whole Health Source blog, I think) that freshly ground wheat contains more phytase, an enzyme that breaks down phytic acid.

The small groove I wrote about in an earlier post may or may not fill in. "If a tooth has a hole, pit or previous filling," says Nagel, "then that hole or pit will be strong and resilient, but it will not likely fill in."

Some people might guess that Molly and I have gained weight on this high-fat diet. Not so. A few days ago, I was down two pounds, and Molly feels firmer than she did a week ago. The idea that dietary fat makes you fat is one of those myths that just won't die--like the idea of those "healthy whole grains."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...