Skip to main content

Infrared Light: How much is too much?

It's the sort of thing that sounds like quackery: a pad with tiny red LED lights and a few buttons that's supposed to help you heal, just $30 on ebay. I never would have bought it, but Dr. Davis gave a presentation on infrared light late in 2024. Since I was still suffering from achilles tendonitis after being floxxed, I decided to try it. 

I wrapped it around my ankle and turned it on the lowest setting for five minutes. Nothing seemed to happen, but the next day, I wrote, 

My tendonitis is GONE after one 5-minute treatment! I didn’t feel it doing anything, I didn’t think it was going to do anything (at least not that quickly), but for the first time in several months, I’ve gotten out of bed and started walking normally and didn’t have any pain reaching with my left arm.

I'd been shuffling around like an 80-year-old woman after getting out of bed in the morning. The tendonitis returned, but it was improved. I eventually had physical therapy for it, and now, apart from a little soreness first thing in the morning in my right achilles, it's healed. The pain in my chest that made it hard to reach with my left arm is completely gone; the pain in my lower left back comes and goes. 

A coworker tried my device and had so much relief he bought one himself.

Dreaming of a cubicle. AI generated. Source: Pixabay.

If a little infrared light is good, more must be better, right? I increased the time and intensity and put the pad on my stomach...and started getting stomach aches. I moved my desk by the windows (old ones with no infrared light blockage). Lately the sun has gotten lower in the sky but the weather has stayed hot, and I found myself tired on days I worked from home. A few days ago when it was 90 degrees and sunny, I asked Grok if too much sun could make you tired. Yes, it said, the heat, glare, dehydration and circadian disruption could lead to fatigue. The excessive exposure could even send your vitamin D level too high, though it said that's rare. (My last reading was 79, higher than it's ever been.) I moved my desk away from the window last night and spent a much more pleasant day working from home, even though today was hot and sunny, too.

Despite all the sunlight I took in, it didn't have the same effect as the infrared device. Even though my desk was by the window for months, and I sat there four days a week, I still needed to use the light therapy pad on my ankle and back (which weren't exposed to direct sunlight). I know studies suggest it doesn't matter where you're exposed to infrared light, but that hasn't been my experience. 

My sensitivity to light exposure might be genetic. My ancestors were all from northern Europe--same latitudes as from Calgary northward. But here in Indianapolis, I'm at the same latitude as southern Spain, Turkey, or the arch in the boot of Italy. Mankind may have been from Africa, but there must have been adaptations for people who lived for millennia in cooler, cloudier places. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...