Skip to main content

Winning! Read some good news!

The good news keeps on coming. After four years of the country being in the biggest mess that most of us have lived through, it feels like spring is here early. The cold wind is refreshing, the snow is sparkling, and the days are getting longer. 

Photo from Pixabay.


If you're getting this post by email, click here to see embedded videos from X.

Trump bans the chemical and surgical mutilation of children in the name of "gender affirming care." This is just an executive order, which the next president could overturn; we need Congress to pass a law.

The CIA admits COVID was mostly likely a lab leak after all. "The CIA analysis supporting lab origin of COVID was completed and published internally during the Biden administration. It was withheld from the public by the Biden Administration in violation of the COVID-19 Origin Act of 2023, which mandated release," said Richard H. Ebright on X. 

Trump bans gain of function research. (Again--it's an executive order; we need Congress to pass a law.)

Vinay Prasad, MD, MPH says, "That's a good thing! ...Gain of function research, as far as I can tell, never led to a single cure, and might have killed 20 million people in the COVID pandemic!"


Anthony "I am the science" Fauci needed a criminal pardon. He belongs in prison for allowing dangerous gain-of-function research and then promoting mitigation efforts like lockdowns and masks in contradiction of everything experts knew at the time about airborne virus spread. Senator Rand Paul is still dogging him. 

Great news that's not health related, but too good not to share

Western North Carolina, which still looks like a war zone four months after Hurricane Helene sent an avalanche of debris down the mountains and into the hollers, is finally getting much more relief from the federal government. According to Grok (X's AI feature), "over 200,000 people were impacted with housing damages, with more than 100,000 homes damaged or destroyed...FEMA reported that over 13,000 households in North Carolina sought shelter through the Transitional Sheltering Assistance program." The hurricane victims, many of them now living in hotels, trailers and RVs in the middle of winter, have expressed frustration with FEMA. Temperatures have gotten down to 0F (-18C). Most of the help has come from volunteers and charitable donations. Finally, after Trump's visit, the Army Corps of Engineers is there with dump trucks. Displaced people in hotels have gotten an extension to live in the hotels through the end of May.

In an everything's on the table spirit of the times, Senator Mike Lee plans to revive letters of marque, a practice from 200 years ago allowing private individuals or entities to engage in acts of war. Back when America was young and broke, we were under attack at sea by pirates and the British. We couldn't afford a strong navy, so we used privateers (who held letters of marque) to capture pirate and British ships. Privateers kept part of the bounty they seized. Lee wants to revive this practice to fight Mexican cartels. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...