Skip to main content

The Problem with Going by the Science

Finishing my garden projects without aggravating my pinched nerve has been impossible. Weeding overgrown areas, pulling up the weed barrier under the weeds, hand-tilling the soil, grading it, then planting was about the most I could do without hurting myself--but then the lawn had to be mowed. Putting off mowing it just makes it harder later. The weather going from chilly to hot within two weeks offered a very short window to get everything done, but almost all of the nearly two hundred seedlings I started are in the ground. 

The worst part about my pinched nerve is that I don't sleep well. It makes my left side buzz and keeps me awake. At that point, doing yoga just makes it worse--all that helps is aspirin. 

So after weeding, tilling, grading and seeding a spot by the driveway this morning, I stopped for the day spent a pleasant hour enjoying some coffee and reading what the Indiana legislature was up to. They've set up a process to create urban agriculture zones, prioritized protection of monuments, made female genital mutilation a felony, required civics education of middle-schoolers, forbade microchipping of employees (that's a thing?) enacted police reforms, established religious services as essential, and empowered the legislature to call themselves into an emergency session during a state of emergency declared by the governor--and put a stop to a never-ending declared emergency. The governor vetoed it. The House overrode the governor's veto, the Senate overrode the governor's veto, and then the attorney general refused the represent the governor in his lawsuit over the bill. Maybe the governor needs to take that middle-school civics class and review separation of powers. Maybe someone needs to remind him that authoritarian governors keep losing in court (see Pennsylvania, Michigan, California, and New York). Maybe he just needs to stop and realize that Hoosiers have spoken: we don't want a handful of people putting us through an endless state of emergency. 

Oddly, people's caution seems to be in inverse proportion to their likelihood of getting a bad case of COVID. A neighbor in delicate health hasn't been vaccinated. People I know who work entirely at home, and don't care to hit the bars at quitting time, have gotten the shot.  Some universities in Indiana and elsewhere are requiring students and faculty to be vaccinated. Some higher-risk people never stopped coming to the office; a lot of lower-risk people are now maskless (which is allowed if you're fully vaccinated). Indianapolis is the only place left in Indiana with a mask mandate, even though the county's advisory level is 1 out of a possible 3--around the middle of the pack for the state. Even through March Madness, deaths were around 1 or 2 per day, where they've stayed ever since.

This is the problem with "going by THE SCIENCE." Even if the science is clear (and it isn't for efficacy of masks or long-term side effects of vaccines), people react differently to that information. People who don't want to be cooped up or live with a long list of rules--like people in the Dakotas--well, they don't want to be cooped up or follow a long list of rules. If you're living cheek by jowl with people, you need to accommodate each other more. So yes, having a patchwork of laws makes sense for a patchwork of people, even if some of the individual laws don't. 

As for me, I don't get pills, shots or procedures I don't need, period. I'm at a low risk for COVID. If I were to get it and give it to someone else, it would very likely be to someone who also decided not to get the shot and decided not to stay home. If they have risk factors of overweight, vitamin D deficiency or diabetes, those risk factors are largely optional and anybody "going by the science" would do the best they could to mitigate those factors instead of putting on weight. So no, I don't feel bad about not getting a shot. The only thing that feels bad is my pinched nerve. And I'm not getting a shot for it!

Comments

So sorry to read about your pinched nerve, I'm not sure where in the body it us but maybe one of these articles can help?
https://www.healthline.com/health/pinched-nerve-in-neck-exercises

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/320045

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Jan! The pinched nerve is in my lumbar region (lower back). I'm seeing a chiropractor and avoiding overworking my back.

Popular posts from this blog

An Objective Book about Other Childhood Vaccines

Today's decision by the CDC to add COVID shots to the schedule of childhood vaccines has some people concerned about the rest of the vaccines on the schedule. Contrary to fact-checker claims, adding COVID shots to the schedule means children will be required in about a dozen states to get a COVID shot to attend public school. Indiana isn't one of them--our childhood vaccination law doesn't mention the CDC and such a requirement could run afoul of our ban on COVID vaccine passports. But even freewheeling Indiana has some vaccine requirements and this kerfuffle has people wondering how safe those vaccines are.  There's a book called Vaccines: Truth, Lies and Controversy  by Peter C. Gotzsche, DrMedSci and co-founder of the Cochrane Collaboration, about the safety and efficacy of all those vaccines, including COVID and others. Cochrane was founded to "to organise medical research findings to facilitate evidence-based choices about health interventions involving healt

Battered Cod and my Eclipse Pictures of my Colander

If you miss battered cod on a low-carb, grain-free diet, here's a recipe that'll satisfy your craving. It's based on a Dr. Davis recipe. Battered cod and cole slaw Ingredients 1 pound cod fillets 2 eggs 2 tablespoons butter, melted 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseeds 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder Instructions Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the cod into 1-1/2 to 2 inch pieces. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and butter. Beat continuously--don't let the butter cook the eggs. In a shallow bowl, combine the flaxseeds, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Coat each piece of cod in the egg mixture and then roll in the in the flaxseed mixture. Place on the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once. Eclipse Crescent Shadows Today was the total solar eclipse, and my house was in the "path of totality."

Eclipse Glasses, Probiotics for Heart, Muscle Recovery

Are your eclipse glasses fake? The total solar eclipse over North America is almost here, and Indianapolis is in the "path of totality," meaning the moon will completely block the sun here. A lot of people have gotten special glasses to safely look at the eclipse. But the American Astronomical Society says , "counterfeit and fake eclipse glasses are polluting the marketplace." Some of the counterfeit glasses appear to be safe, the society says, but others are fakes that are no more effective than sunglasses. One of the counterfeits they describe matches the glasses someone gave me. I don't know where she got them, and she's not someone I'd trust to perform adequate due diligence. I just got over an eye injury and I don't need another one--I'll try the pinhole method instead to see crescents during the eclipse if it's not too cloudy. Picture from  Pexels .  Heart Centered Probiotic I started getting scary heart palpitations several years ago

Diabetes Down, COVID Curiosities, New Glasses after Accident

Diabetes Down Despite Dietitians' Directions Last Sunday when I wrote about the grifters over at EatThis.com, which calls itself "Eat This, Not That," I was worked up enough to tweet to their medical expert board members if they stood by the site's article flogging sugary drinks and fast food for St. Patrick's Day. The site has over 1,300 articles, mostly puff pieces, on McDonald's and a news feed full of "the most important breaking news" on Doritos, burger joints and Chips Ahoy! I asked a dietitian who responded to me what exactly the "not that" part was in "Eat This, Not That." Important news about what you should eat! I was worked up until I remembered the saying, "You can't cheat an honest man." Meaning that this con, like a lot of others, requires some dishonesty on the part of the mark. Every Joe Six-Pack knows that cookies, chips and coffee-flavored milkshakes from Starbucks aren't health food. It takes s

My New Diet: How it's Going

Saturday I started a new diet to heal my cavities. It involves eating mostly foods high in vitamins A, D and K (fat-soluble vitamins) and calcium and phosphorus. I'm eating zero grains, but still eating a few chocolate candies (as in, three or so dark chocolate kisses per day) at work. To that end, on Saturday I bought a quart each of half-and-half and cream, two dozen eggs, liver, several tins of sardines on sale, and a bunch of salad ingredients. It's Monday and I'm already down to eight eggs and I've gone through half the cream and half-and-half. (I still have three-fourths of a pie dish of low-carb flan I made tonight with the dairy and eggs, and I fed a few of the eggs to my dog.) There's liver thawing in the refrigerator for tomorrow night and a can of sardines in my lunch (I already ate one can of sardines Saturday when I wanted a quick, easy snack). In other words, it's been incredibly easy to eat this food. I also changed my toothpaste to Xyliwhite(TM)