Skip to main content

Garage, Class, and Thyroid Medication Finished

Home Improvement Projects

I'm finally finished painting. There are still a few places where water is getting in during rain storms; I'll be darned if I know where how it's getting in. On the next warm, dry day (we get a few in Indiana during the fall and winter), I'll go around with a fresh can of foam when the wood is dry and hope for the best. 


My garage and vegetable garden.


The window sill and the front door on my house are fixed, too. The sill, facing west, got badly weather beaten; the door is just old. I fixed the rot at the bottom of the door, put on a new sweep and numbers, painted the door and spray-painted the hinges with Rust-oleum. The deadbolt broke and I had to do quite a bit of retrofitting to install a new one. I bought and used a wood chisel to make room for a new strike plate. I think I learned how to use one in junior high shop class--one of those "useless" classes going by the wayside--but oddly, I don't remember what project I used it on. The first quarter, we used only hand tools.

I had someone else replace some trim on the roof, though, not wanting another accident to recover from. I actually thought about moving my mattress below the roofline in case I fell off, but decided to hire it out. It looks like the handywoman did a good job. 

Classes

I finished my course on the Constitution. Government and the Revolutionary War were taught in grade school and maybe junior high or high school, but the information was cursory--we never even read the Declaration of Independence or the Constitution, and I don't think I ever heard of the Federalist Papers until I was out of college. When I was called for jury duty several years ago, the ignorance of the upper middle class people there about the legal process was stunning--they didn't know basic facts such as the state having to prove guilt rather than people having to prove their innocence. Twice over the weekend (here and here), I heard two British commentators remark on the ignorance of supposedly educated people, and I'm sad to say I agree with them. So here's a hat tip to Hillsdale College (and other resources of learning) for the chance to redeem ourselves.

Gut Biome

I've remarked before that I make l. reuteri yogurt--I've been making it for about a year, and in that year, I got off my thyroid medication. Another member at Dr. Davis's Inner Circle said his thyroid improved, too, after he started eating the yogurt. Not everybody there gets off their thyroid medicine (we're the only two I know of), but clearly, it's possible to reverse thyroid deficiency in some cases. I'm not sure if it's the yogurt we're eating, since there's a lot to the program, but Dr. Davis thinks the gut biome has something to do with thyroid deficiency. 

I felt well enough to start working out again. This time, I just had normal discomfort afterwards. I think my aches and pains from a few weeks ago were related to the flu shot I had. If the shot was any indication of this season's strain of flu, it would make me extremely ill without the shot.

Comments

Your garage and vegetable garden look good.
Hope you will be able to find the last few leaks though.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Jan. It's good to have it pretty much finished.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...