Skip to main content

Improvements and Saving Money

Things are continuing to improve. I've stopped taking my adrenal cortex medicine and digestive enzymes because I don't feel I need them. I'm now down to hydrocortisone cream and natural desiccated thyroid (NDT). I got some lab tests done the other day--I'm sure they'll show improvement.

I couldn't take any hydrocortisone that day (and I forgot to take my NDT until that afternoon). I didn't take my vitamins or electrolytes, either. I ended up eating a whole can of chocolate covered nuts. And a small order of fries with my lettuce-wrapped burger. Cortisol helps control blood sugar; maybe it has something to do with controlling cravings, too. I went back to my supplement regimen the next day and felt no desire to eat fries or chocolate--just tacos. I had chicken, salsa, cheddar cheese, guacamole and pork rinds.

Now that I'm feeling better, thinking more clearly and no longer desperate to get well, I took advantage of a slow day at work to look over costs. I found a cheaper lab and saw that 300 mg Thyrogold pills are quite a bit cheaper by the dose than 150 mg pills. That'll save me $150 per year. Between annual thyroid and cortisol tests and thyroid pills, it's going to cost $950 per year. (I'm not counting $5 tubes of hydrocortisone.) Glad I'm such a cheapskate that I built some wiggle room into my finances. Leaving Denver for low cost-of-living Indianapolis was a good move!

I'm not sure it would be any cheaper going the conventional route through doctors and insurance. The word at Stop the Thyroid Madness is that Armour (prescription thyroid medicine) doesn't work like it used to, the price has gone up substantially, and many insurance plans don't cover it. My concern about Thyrogold is that it looks like a small family operation (or single operator) and I'm concerned about successorship.

Other places I found savings: I downgraded my Lifelock membership ($300 per year savings), went to one payment per year on my homeowners insurance (saved whatever the installment fee was), and sent the insurance company a certificate verifying I had a monitored burglar alarm ($20 per year). Every penny counts!

Comments

Val said…
Glad you are feeling better! Fortunately I see that my thyroid levels are improved after my latest DIY test: T4 is back up to the tippy-top of “normal” range with TSH in “low-normal” range which is where I need to be to feel “normal” or at least “functional” myself.
These winter months get harder & harder, though, since my cold intolerance persists. Thank goodness for my 2 little dogs who keep me warm at night!
I haven’t done any aerobic exercise in so long, I don’t know how poorly I would handle it - I’ve just been keeping up with yoga class mostly. And my poor ponies probably think I’ve forgotten all about them, since I haven’t ridden in almost 5 wks. Crappy weather or crappy mood, take your pick.
Lori Miller said…
I'm glad you're feeling better, too.

I had to go back to taking adrenal pills, but a lesser dose. I started feeling lethargic without them.

My dog was running around outside tonight--it's only 23 degrees! And he doesn't have a thick, furry coat like Molly did. I wish I had his energy.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...