Skip to main content

No Cavities, but if that's not Working for you...

"You might want to read The China Study."

Good lord, there's someone still recommending that book after it was debunked by an English major and picked apart by Michael Eades and Chris Masterjohn? Recommended by someone who works in a dentist's office, no less--where they're supposed to tell you to avoid carbage? Yet the dental hygienist did today. Maybe she was worried about business slowing down. Maybe she hadn't heard that at least two of its main critics got a mouthful of cavities on vegan or vegetarian diets.

I didn't have any cavities, sensitive gums or other issues that a little more flossing wouldn't fix, and told her that I quit getting cavities after I started a low-carb diet. I added that since I'm from a family full of diabetes, that's another reason to be on a low-carb diet. "Well, if your diet isn't working for you, read The China Study."

I wasn't about to argue with a vegan holding a pick in my mouth. Even in a less asymmetrical setting, it would have been like arguing about religion.

Before I went low-carb, there was a diet that had stopped working for me: Body for Life, which includes quite a bit of  "good" carbs. I got almost all the cavities in my mouth on that diet--along with other problems usually put down to middle age. When I ditched the fruit, grains, milk and potatoes and went face down in the fat, I got rid of twenty pounds of fat, acid reflux, tooth decay, aches and pains, dry skin, three-hour naps, sinus congestion, and most of my TMJ pain. If I ever want to have all those problems back, I'll give dear Dr. Campbell's book a read.

Comments

Well I have to say my dentist and hygienist are quite 'on the ball'. Dare I say they always seem pleased with my teeth, and touch wood I haven't needed a lot of treatment in recent years. Note - I've been following the low carb high fat way for just over 5 years now.

I do not think people realise the whole round benefits a low carb high fat lifestyle can bring.

With regard to you personally Lori I think you've been brilliant with the dental treatment you've had since your accident this past year or so - forgive me I don't know the exact length of time.

Have a good weekend

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Whole round of benefits is right--since our bodies are integrated, there aren't separate diets for heart health and dental health and so on.

The hygienist seemed to have forgotten that I couldn't clean my teeth for something like a month after my accident, but didn't have any decay on my next visit.
Galina L. said…
I wonder, did the hygienist herself read the "China Study". Dr. Eades described it as a 400 pages book consisted mostly of tables with a data.
Lori Miller said…
I'm sure she read the popular China Study, not the doorstop of observational data it was partly based on. The former also includes discussions of rodent studies masquerading as human studies in the book.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...