Skip to main content

The Tao of Low Carb

Readers may be familiar with the Tao Te Ching, a classical Chinese text of philosophy. It has some common themes with stoicism--to live in harmony with nature, to not be concerned with things outside your control. It reminds me of Bible verses about a soft answer turning away wrath and the meek inheriting the earth; of Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi's work on flow. Maybe that's as dull as watching the grass grow, but I'd rather do that than bang my head on my desk.

From Verse 38.
The Master does nothing
yet he leaves nothing undone.
The ordinary man is always doing things
yet many more are left to be done.

Or as we say here and now, the faster I go, the behinder I get. My own experience is that once I started low-carb, I spent a lot less time exercising and cooking and got better results--twenty pounds of fat and a bunch of health problems, gone.

From Verse 58.
Try to make people happy,
and you lay the groundwork for misery.
Try to make people moral,
and you lay the groundwork for vice.

How much misery have well-meaning low-fat, whole-grain guidelines caused? How many people will look at calorie counts and get the most calories for their money? (I'm one of them.) How much guilt do people feel when they can't stick to diets that slow down their metabolism or leave them hungry? (I'm not one of them. I've never felt guilty for eating anything. Regret at times, but not guilt.)

From Verse 63:
Confront the difficult while it is still easy;
accomplish the great task by a series of small acts.

Keep track of your weight or your size often, and nip weight gain in the bud. If it's too late to nip it in the bud, you can still build good habits and watch your body's response.

Other readers may be familiar with the book The Tao of Warren Buffett. Buffett is no paragon of healthy eating, but he's very smart--especially about what a person shouldn't do. I think he's funny, too; maybe that we're both ISTJs (at least, he's thought to be that type) has something to do with it.

No. 18: My idea of a group decision is to look in the mirror. 

True on a couple of levels. Looking in the mirror (especially naked) doesn't leave much room for self-deception about your size and fitness. But more importantly, going by your own results is better than following experts, friends or family who don't have to live with ill effects of diets they recommend for you.

No. 16: It's not necessary to do extraordinary things to get extraordinary results.

Much of the good results are from what you don't eat and don't do on LC. Sorry, Jillian Michaels.

No. 57: Never ask a barber if you need a haircut.

Sad to say, but many doctors are like barbers.

No. 61: There seems to be some perverse human characteristic that likes to make easy things difficult.

Scientific shenanigans, anyone?

No. 28: Managing your career is like investing--the degree of difficulty does not count. So you can save yourself money and pain by getting on the right train.


Comments

More haste less speed is an everyday saying that often comes into play. If you want to do something right, allow yourself time to do it. If it should go wrong take a deep breath and try again. I find this works on most everyday type challenges that may come your way. Of course some problems may require more time to try and sort out.

With the weekend fast approaching - hope you have a good one.

All the best Jan
tess said…
thanks a lot, Lori (sarcasm alert) -- now i have to add two more books to my backlogged reading list! ;-)

(really, i should have read Ching's Tao a long time ago.)
Lori Miller said…
I'm surprised you want to read a book on Warren Buffett. That said, it had me literally laughing out loud last night.
RobS said…
Wow lao tzu, flow, buffet and low carb intertwined? Great post.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...