Skip to main content

Bacon Liver Kebabs and Fries in 15 minutes

Unless you live next door to McDonald's, you won't get faster fast food. Hat tip to Tess over at Tess's Paleo Journey for the idea of bacon-wrapped liver.



Ingredients:
2 T lard
1/2 small sweet potato
1/2 bell pepper
1/2 pound liver
2 strips bacon
4 mushrooms
2 T olive oil
salt

for mayonnaise:
1 egg
1 cup light olive oil or grape seed oil
1 t mustard
1 t lemon juice
few dashes of savory spices (e.g., herbes de Provence, Mrs. Dash, etc.)
dash salt & pepper

  1. Put the broiler pan 4" from the flame and preheat the broiler.
  2. Heat the lard in a medium sauce pan on medium-high heat. Peel and julienne the sweet potato into 1/4" wide strips.
  3. Trim any film or tough bits from the liver and cut it into strips 3/4" x 3/4" x 3" long. Use a very sharp, thin knife if you have one.
  4. If the mushrooms are large, cut them into two or three pieces. Toss them in the olive oil and skewer them.
  5. Put the sweet potato and liver trimmings (the bits you don't want) in the lard and cover.
  6. Skewer the liver. When the kebab is full, wrap a piece of bacon around it in a spiral, starting in the middle.
  7. Put all the kebabs on the broiler for three minutes, turn, and cook another three minutes. If the fries aren't ready, put the kebabs on a plate and cover them with foil.
  8. Check the fries from time to time; take them out when they're done and salt them. Cover with foil if the kebabs aren't ready.
  9. Meantime, cut the pepper into strips and make the mayonnaise.
  10. Feed the fried liver bits to your dog, cat or other meat-eating animal.

Mayonnaise:

Break the egg in a blender and add the mustard, spices, lemon juice and salt. Turn on the blender and add the olive oil until it starts to pool at the top. Use or refrigerate immediately.


Comments

tess said…
why thank you, but i can't take all the credit -- i was inspired by Mark Sisson's "quick meal" cookbook that i got for christmas....
Lori Miller said…
I'll have to check that out.
tess said…
only if you're big on salads.... :-P not to say there aren't lots of interesting recipes, but the guy is a definite salad enthusiast, and i'm not. the difference between Missouri in the wintertime and Malibu? i like hot food! :-)

the most impressive low-carb quick-food cookbook i have is the one that Atkins and his wife published before his death -- GREAT food, and i only have to paleify SOME of the recipes.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...