Skip to main content

What to Do with All those Pumpkins?

Waste not, want not. -English proverb


"I don't like pumpkin pie, but this is delicious. What is it?" Various people commenting on pie made with fresh pumpkin

Pumpkins and other squash are used so much for decoration that people seem to forget they're edible. The flesh and seeds are a little on the carby side, but the seeds are full of minerals and pumpkin flesh is full of beta carotene, vitamin C and potassium.

If pumpkin doesn't sound appetizing, you're not alone: I never considered eating it until I was in my 30s. My mother makes a gooey, sugary concoction that desecrates acorn squash and we threw out jack-o-lanterns on November 1 when I was a kid. Pumpkin pie was made from canned goop. Forget all that. These are savory recipes I think you'll love, and they don't take much hands-on time.

How to Roast a Pumpkin
If you think you don't like pumpkin, maybe it's because you've never had anything but the canned goop. Here's how to roast a fresh pumpkin.

Stab the pumpkin a few times with a steak knife. Place it on a cookie sheet and roast it at 350F for 60 to 90 minutes, until it feels a little spongy. Take it out of the oven and let it cool. Cut it in half, scrape out and save the seeds, and scrape the flesh from the skin. Discard the skin and mash the flesh. Refrigerate or freeze.

Pumpkin-Sausage Soup
Even though pumpkin tends to be used in sweets, it isn't sweet on its own. This is a meaty, savory soup.

1/4 pound sausage
1 clove garlic, crushed
3 c chicken stock
1/4 t pepper
1/2 t salt
1/2 t dried parsley
1/2 t thyme
1-1/2 c roasted pumpkin
2 T butter
2 T coconut flour
1/2 c cream

In a large pot, fry the sausage over medium heat. When done, add the garlic, then the chicken stock, pumpkin and spices. Bring to a boil. Transfer to another pot. In the first pot, add the butter and melt over medium heat. Stir in flour, scraping the sausage from the bottom of the pot. Add the soup and stir in the cream.

Fried Pumpkin Seeds
This tastes similar to popcorn or roasted nuts. Soaking the seeds helps eliminate the anti-nutrients.

2 c water
1 T salt
1 T vinegar
Seeds from one pumpkin
2 T butter

Dissolve the salt in the water and add vinegar and seeds. Soak overnight. Rinse, melt the butter in a pot on medium heat and add the seeds. Cook, stirring occasionally, for an hour to an hour and a half. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...