Skip to main content

Knockout! Right in the Bread Basket

Lennox Lewis is gonna win that fight. Nobody's gonna get in the ring with Mike Tyson unless they know they can knock him out. -Bud Miller, my father

It was the most hyped boxing match of 2002: Mike Tyson, the boxer who once bit off an opponent's ear in the ring, finagled a boxing license in Tennessee and took on Lennox Lewis. My father called that fight: Mr. Lewis looked serene when he knocked out Mr. Tyson in the eighth round. Mr. Lewis knew both himself and his opponent, something that hardly anyone interested in the fight seemed to consider.

And so it's been lately with contenders who spout the healthy whole grains/eat less move more/low fat dogma on the internet in forums that allow responses. The priests of nutrition don't seem to anticipate a bunch of Lennox Lewises, who know every move of their game, climbing into the ring and pounding them.

Apparently, the nutritional priests don't talk to each other or pay attention to each other's work, either. Awhile back, there was the Hope Warshaw rout, to name one instance of dumb "expert" advice drawing a virtual angry and intellectually muscular mob. That should have been a clue to the people at the blog Six Servings by the Grain Foods Foundation. They were quietly publishing junk science and marketing fluff when they decided to take on cardiologist William Davis, MD, author of Wheat Belly:  Lose the Wheat, Lose the Weight and Find your Path Back to Health. The post called a wheat-free diet a "fad" and said that cutting out "one specific food" is "dangerous." They called Dietary Guidelines for Americans the "gold standard of scientifically sound nutrition advice."

At this writing, there are 94 responses to the post, citing the post's logical fallicies, Dr. Davis's success in helping patients, facts about wheat's lack of nutrients, clinical studies showing wheat's disease-causing properties, wheat's ability to send blood sugar over the moon, the common-sense observation that you can get nutrients from better foods, and people's own success on a wheat-free diet. Somebody mentioned the fact that there's no scientific basis for the USDA guidelines; others brought up anthropological evidence that humans were healthier before they started eating grains. Round one goes to Dr. Davis and his fellow travelers.

Gluttons for punishment, the Six Servings people made a follow-up post, mostly appealing to various authorities and experts. They didn't accept Dr. Davis's challenge to a public debate. Do I need to mention they got shellacked by the wheat-free commenters? Even though the Six Servings people don't seem convinced of anything but wheat's goodness (what did you expect?) I give round two to Davis et al. The victory here isn't in getting industry flacks to admit they're wrong, but in thinking clearly for ourselves and winning back our health.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...