Skip to main content

Dance with the Dolly who'll Dance in her Stockings

I love it when I solve two problems in one stroke. Tonight, I got rid of the knee pain I've been getting when I dance.

How? I danced in my socks.

During the first dance, while I was wearing shoes, sharp pains in my right knee made me imagine having to retire from lindy hopping one day. But having read about runners correcting their foot and knee problems by running barefoot or in minimal shoes (see this and this), I tried an experiment: I took off my shoes. Since you have to be able to pivot without sticking to the floor, I kept my socks on.

My first impression was that I could feel the floor. Years ago, my dance teachers, Dan and Tiff, talked about the floor being the third partner in the dance. I finally understood what they meant. My heels, toes and especially the balls of my feet felt every step, slide and tap on the wood floor. But the pain in my knee didn't return.

One partner was concerned that I'd slip and slide in my socks, but it didn't happen in socks any more than in my dance shoes--a pair of sueded tennis shoes I bought for $5 from Tiff a few years ago. (They were a tad too small for her.) I did backward kicks a la Frankie Manning, and every other styling move I could think of, without a problem.

The other problem I solved tonight was finding dance shoes. Suitable dance shoes have to fit my wide feet, buckle or lace so they don't fly off, they have to be flexible enough to let my feet bend, they have to have a sole you can pivot on, or a sole that can be sueded, and I need to be able to wear them with either cotton socks or nothing so that I don't get blisters. Having shopped for such shoes, let me tell you: this is a tall order. It's time consuming, and decent shoes are expensive. It's probably why so many people in the swing scene wear sueded tennis shoes.

Drawbacks to dancing in socks? I'll have a little less protection when someone steps on my foot. Being stepped on by experienced dancers isn't so bad: they react too quickly to press very hard, and their flat shoes spread out the force. They don't step on people often since they keep their feet close to the floor. It's out-of-control newbies taking high, wide steps in stiletto and kitten heels that worry me. For the safety of everybody, I wish dance clubs would ban those shoes. One of my coworkers sustained a broken bone in her foot when someone stepped on her at a dance.

I suppose I'll look a bit odd, but so do a lot of people at the places where I dance. A few years ago, a friend and coworker was going to meet me at one of the clubs, but was put off by some people with purple hair. Besides, it's 2011, and the expectations of people who want current swing dancers to look like they fell out of an Andy Hardy movie are lost on 98% of us. If you really want to be period-accurate, though, some flapper or bobby soxer surely kicked off her t-straps or wedgies and kept on dancing at some point during the 30-year swing era. Smart woman.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...