Skip to main content

Can RFK Make America Healthy Again?

Heaven knows America needs to be healthier. No citation needed--you can leave your house and see that lean, fit people are the exception. But our new Health and Human Services Secretary, Robert F. Kennedy, wants to change that. His plan includes (according to GROK, X's AI feature) investigating the root causes of chronic disease, scrutinizing food and water additives, revising the dietary guidelines, tackling environmental toxins, ensuring vaccine schedules are based on sound science, addressing the revolving door from health agencies to big pharma, and banning ultra-processed food from school lunches and SNAP (food stamp) eligibility.

Some Americans eat like this every day. Maybe that's a problem. Photo from Pexels.

All of these are good things--especially ending the pipeline of regulators who go on to work for the companies they were supposed to be regulating. But it ignores the elephant in the room: 60% of America's diet is ultra-processed food. That's compared to 14% to 44% in Europe. Ultra-processed foods, as defined by the Nova classification, are packaged foods made with non-culinary franken-ingredients. "Common UPFs includes soft drinks, snacks, processed meats, cookies, and candy," but even canned goods and yogurt can include ingredients that make them ultra-processed.  

This tracks with what I see at the grocery store. Typically at Kroger, people's carts are full of boxed foods and soda and a little bit of milk, meat and produce. Nobody looks well--most of the shoppers look like they just got up from a bad night's sleep. 

The franken-ingredients aren't the only problem with ultra-processed food. Soda, snacks, cookies and candy--also known as junk food--are empty calories whose easily digested carbohydrates can cause blood sugar swings. Those roller coaster blood sugars can make you tired, cranky and hungry--and eventually lead to weight gain, diabetes and heart disease.

The good news, though, is that you don't have to wait for change from Washington DC. Avoid junk food, avoid industrially made seed oils (like corn, canola, soybean and sunflower), and avoid emulsifers. Avoid grains and sugar, too.  

There's a lot more you can do for your health, but doing this (along with taking supplements lacking in food and water today) solved most of my health problems. 

Sources:

Ultra-processed food staples dominate mainstream U.S. supermarkets. Americans more than Europeans forced to choose between health and cost (preprint)
Bertrand Amaraggi, Wendy Wood, Laura Guinovart Martín, Jaime Giménez Sánchez, Yolanda Fleta Sánchez, Andrea de la Garza Puentes
medRxiv 2024.02.16.24302894; doi: https://doi.org/10.1101/2024.02.16.24302894

Mertens E, Colizzi C, Peñalvo JL. Ultra-processed food consumption in adults across Europe. Eur J Nutr. 2022 Apr;61(3):1521-1539. doi: 10.1007/s00394-021-02733-7. Epub 2021 Dec 3. PMID: 34862518; PMCID: PMC8921104.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nova_classification

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...