Skip to main content

A Bigger Butt from Lifting Weights

That's what the title should have been for my blog post last June about the benefits I'd seen from strength training. Being happily ignorant of the big butt craze, I went on about losing enough fat to need new pants and lowering my fasting insulin. Maybe I should have been clear that my waist size went down and butt got bigger. (Sorry, no before and after shots--I don't take pictures of my ass.)

Photo from Pixabay. The closest thing you'll get to a butt picture here.

I only heard about the big butt craze a few days ago when YouTube suddenly started putting a bunch of BBL (Brazilian butt lift) videos in my feed. I have no idea why those came up. But some of the plastic surgeons making the videos have said that it's the riskiest plastic surgery--so risky that some of them won't do it--and that implants you sit on all day are going to move around. 

Brave AI lists the risks of BBLs as fat embolism (potentially fatal), high mortality rate (1 in 3,000), loss of fat cells (affecting the end result), blood clots, infection, asymmetry, scarring, and nerve damage. The Cleveland Clinic says BBLs are semi-permanent and "may even last for over a decade." 

I've had plastic surgery--septoplasty and turbinate reduction for frequent sinus infections. It was painful, I was out for a week, it didn't heal for several years until I started a low-carb diet, and for all that, I still got frequent sinus infections. So I'm not a fan of plastic surgery: it doesn't always work as advertised.

Like my septoplasty, a BBL isn't going to make you healthier, but lifting weights will. It can even give you a bigger butt for a fraction of the risk and a fraction of the cost. It won't give you a butt of Kardashian proportions, but your ass isn't supposed to look like you stuffed a pair of balloons in your pants. (Speaking of which, some of the victims of this procedure said they couldn't fit into normal pants.) Working your glutes just a few days a week, though, can improve not just your butt, but your strength and metabolic health. And you'll have a butt in proportion to your build and your stage of life. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Generation X Led the Way out of the Pandemic

I keep seeing riled-up Gen Xers on YouTube. You'd better watch out, because Gen X (born between 1965 and 1980) is tough--so tough that some of us looked after ourselves home alone after school, played unsupervised and drank out of hoses when we were kids. The riled-up ones on YouTube might send some very mean tweets. Screen shot from The Goonies. They're late to the party. It was mostly other Gen-Xers who were riled up four years ago, leading the way against lockdowns and forced vaccinations: Alex Berenson (investigative journalist who successfully sued Twitter), Bret Weinstein and Heather Heying ( professors in exile  previously pursued by baseball bat wielding goons at Evergreen), Jay Bhattacharya and Sunetra Gupta (co-authors of The Great Barrington Declaration ), Aseem Malhotra (cardiologist who took the shot, then started campaigning to end the shots after his father died suddenly of a heart attack after  his  shot), Ron De Santis and Kristi Noem (governors of Florida and

Fermenting with L. Gasseri; Supplies; Order

L. Gasseri BNR17 Lactobacillus gasseri BNR17 is one of the bacteria we use over at Dr. Davis's Inner Circle. It's part of the SIBO yogurt because it creates seven bacteriocins (bacteria killers); it's also been shown to reduce waist size. So instead of making more yogurt with it, I fermented it with apples, carrots and spices (recipe here ). It's delicious, and it got rid of a lot of gas and bloating. My belly feels a little smaller too--always a good thing. I fermented it in my redneck yogurt maker with the heating pad set on high for three days. The bacteria digest the carbohydrate (greatly reducing the carb count) and it gives the apples and carrots a tart taste.  You can get L. gasseri BNR17 from Dr. Mercola's web site--it's in a product called BioThin . Once you ferment something with it, you can use the fermented food as a starter for the next batch; you don't have to keep buying supplements.  * * * * * Supplies Food choices are getting worse. I had t

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m

Finding Relief from Muscle Strain

I love working in my garden, but lately it's left me feeling like I've been run over. Pruning an eight-foot-tall rose down to two feet to extract a trellis that the rose grew up through and pulled out of the ground, after I'd lifted weights the night before, forced me to take a day of rest.  Aspirin helped, but chronic use of it can lead to ulcers. I wondered if there was still Bacillus coagulans in the yogurt I make, since one of the other strains in the yogurt could have crowded it out. B. coagulans is a bacteria that helps with muscle recovery. I took some packets of it and added a packet to my next yogurt batch, but bacteria don't work like drugs--it can take more time to feel any effects. What helped a lot were some videos from SpineCare Decompression , a YouTube channel run by Dr. Michael Rowe, a chiropractor who makes 10-15 minute videos showing how to use stretching exercises to relieve pain at home. Repeating the stretches every day has given me a lot more flex