Skip to main content

Mild Fermented Pickles Recipe

If you don't like fermented foods because they're too tart or sour, you might like these pickles. There's no vinegar or sharp taste. Even the onions are mild. They're not sweet, either, even though the recipe calls for brown sugar: the bacteria consume most or all of the sugar. They're just mild, savory pickles.

There's no need to add culture because cucumbers naturally have L. plantarum bacteria on their surface. 


Equipment needed

1 quart canning jar* with ring and lid (or fermenting lid)
1 fermentation weight or small, clean stones in a Ziploc baggie

Ingredients

1 pound pickling cucumbers** (not salad cucumbers), preferably unwashed
1/4 sweet onion (like Vidalia)
1 teaspoon juniper berries
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon anise seed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons pickling salt or other salt without iodine
1/4 teaspoon pickle crisp
Filtered water free of chlorine

Instructions

Rinse the cucumbers in the filtered water just enough to get the dirt and spines off. Cut off and discard the ends and cut into 1/4" slices.

Cut the onion into thin slices. Cut the larger rings in half if desired.

Put the salt, sugar and spices in the jar along with a cup of water. Put the lid on tightly and shake well until the salt and sugar are dissolved. 

Put the onion and cucumbers in the jar, alternating them so they are mixed. Fill the jar with filtered water, leaving about an inch of head space. Sprinkle in the pickle crisp. 

Place the weight or bagged stones in the jar and put the ring and lid on loosely (or use a fermentation lid). Place the jar away from drafts and direct sunlight where it can ferment at about 70 degrees F. Let ferment for three days--the liquid will be cloudy and the pickles ready to eat. Refrigerate.

*Vintage crocks may contain lead.

** This year I started growing a variety called Pick-a-Bushel Hybrid, and I'm impressed. Burpee says, "2014 All-America Selections Regional Award Winner for Heartland and Great Lakes! A semi-bush variety that yields 10-20 white spined pickles per plant. Best harvested when 3-6" long Pick-a-Bushel is resistant to Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Scab, and MMV yielding bushels of bountiful harvest in any growing season." Even the cucumbers that get large are firm and not too seedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How to block a member on the Inner Circle Forum

If you're a member of Dr. Davis's Inner Circle site and you use the forum, you can block a member so you don't see most of their posts, but the process isn't very intuitive. Here's how. Thread on blocking a member:  https://innercircle.drdavisinfinitehealth.com/forum/topics.aspx?ID=3092

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m

Atkins on Salad

"...you're allowed green salad with your lunch and dinner. Yes, even though this first week of the diet is called a carbohydrate-free diet and lettuce contains a tiny bit of carbohydrate....Given the amount of carbohydrate in these two salads, what happens in the body is approximately the same in 99 percent of dieters as if no salad had been eaten. So why not eat those salads? They are a lifesaver. To eat just protein and fat without the garden-fresh crispness that salad provides is a drudgery. So I thank the Lord that greens contain so little carbohydrate. Those salads make all the difference between a diet that's aesthetic, appetizing, human, and one that's an uncivilized drag." --Dr. Robert Atkins(1) Dr. Atkins also said, "A patient christened the [Atkins Diet] the steak and salad diet--and that does rather sum up the plot of it."(2) So much for low carb diets in general and Atkins in particular being all-meat diets. Most people I see commenting onlin

Results of my Carrageenan-Free Diet

Certain things should be left in the aquarium. Readers may recall my ordeal last Saturday with a migraine headache and a trip by ambulance back to my parents' house. Thanks to one of the paramedics jogging my memory, I researched the almond milk I'd started drinking around the time I quit dairy. One of the ingredients was carrageenan, a substance used to induce inflammation, sensitivity to pain and other problems in laboratory animals. Supposedly, the "undegraded" form is safe for human consumption, but undegraded carrageenan has been found to be contaminated with degraded carrageenan, and there are ways that the digestive system could degrade carrageenan itself. For the past few months, I've felt a little bloated, and was starting to have some mild pain in my lower stomach. I thought it might have been the effects of the antibiotics, oral steroids or decongestant (which gave me an allergic reaction) from back in February. I didn't connect it to the sev