Skip to main content

Mild Fermented Pickles Recipe

If you don't like fermented foods because they're too tart or sour, you might like these pickles. There's no vinegar or sharp taste. Even the onions are mild. They're not sweet, either, even though the recipe calls for brown sugar: the bacteria consume most or all of the sugar. They're just mild, savory pickles.

There's no need to add culture because cucumbers naturally have L. plantarum bacteria on their surface. 


Equipment needed

1 quart canning jar* with ring and lid (or fermenting lid)
1 fermentation weight or small, clean stones in a Ziploc baggie

Ingredients

1 pound pickling cucumbers** (not salad cucumbers), preferably unwashed
1/4 sweet onion (like Vidalia)
1 teaspoon juniper berries
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon whole black peppercorns
1/2 teaspoon anise seed
1 tablespoon brown sugar
3 tablespoons pickling salt or other salt without iodine
1/4 teaspoon pickle crisp
Filtered water free of chlorine

Instructions

Rinse the cucumbers in the filtered water just enough to get the dirt and spines off. Cut off and discard the ends and cut into 1/4" slices.

Cut the onion into thin slices. Cut the larger rings in half if desired.

Put the salt, sugar and spices in the jar along with a cup of water. Put the lid on tightly and shake well until the salt and sugar are dissolved. 

Put the onion and cucumbers in the jar, alternating them so they are mixed. Fill the jar with filtered water, leaving about an inch of head space. Sprinkle in the pickle crisp. 

Place the weight or bagged stones in the jar and put the ring and lid on loosely (or use a fermentation lid). Place the jar away from drafts and direct sunlight where it can ferment at about 70 degrees F. Let ferment for three days--the liquid will be cloudy and the pickles ready to eat. Refrigerate.

*Vintage crocks may contain lead.

** This year I started growing a variety called Pick-a-Bushel Hybrid, and I'm impressed. Burpee says, "2014 All-America Selections Regional Award Winner for Heartland and Great Lakes! A semi-bush variety that yields 10-20 white spined pickles per plant. Best harvested when 3-6" long Pick-a-Bushel is resistant to Cucumber Mosaic Virus, Scab, and MMV yielding bushels of bountiful harvest in any growing season." Even the cucumbers that get large are firm and not too seedy.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...