Skip to main content

Cultured Cranberry-Apple Treat

My best fermentation recipe yet! Perfect for fall.




Update

See an updated recipe and fermentation technique in my 4-minute video here. 


Ingredients

4 small apples, peeled and shredded
1 cup chopped raw cranberries (a food processor with an S blade works well)
1 celery stalk, thinly sliced
4 T brown sugar
1/4 cup maple syrup*
Filtered water
Your choice of sugar-loving probiotics (I used Biotiquest Ideal Immunity)

Special equipment

Canning funnel
Quart jar and lid 
Fermentation weight (optional)
Fermentation device (I use a heating pad in an insulated grocery bag)

Combine the apples, cranberries, celery, maple syrup and brown sugar in a bowl and mix. Put the canning funnel on the jar and spoon in the mixture. Add enough water to cover the ingredients. Put in the probiotics, opening the capsules if applicable. With a clean spoon or knife, push the probiotics into the jar and move the ingredients around to bring air bubbles to the surface. Put the fermentation weight in the jar if using. Put the lid on loosely (or use a fermentation lid). 

Ferment until the mixture is no longer sweet. (It took five days for a batch in a cool house with the heating pad set on medium.)

*Most of what passes for maple syrup is corn syrup. Make sure you're using real maple syrup, or substitute brown sugar, or omit. Don't use honey, as it can contain botulism that can grow during fermentation.

Comments

Fermented foods can be so beneficial.
Thanks for sharing this recipe.

All the best Jan
Mary said…
Hi Lori, wondering if you have ever checked at what temp you are getting with the heating pad. I do my vegetables at room temp (in the past never when cold outside) so it’s about 77 to 78. I fermented a fruit sauce at 98 with sous vide for 5 days, I added no sugar but some inulin. Thinking about your heating pad and grocery bag for winter vegetables.
Lori Miller said…
I checked a batch fermenting right now. An oral thermometer said 90.7, but the jar feels quite a bit cooler at the bottom. Hopefully, the different temperatures suit different bacteria.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...