Skip to main content

Palpitations--Finally, an Answer and a Fix

 After suffering with heart-pounding palpitations for eight years, I finally have an answer: endotoxemia brought on by emulsifiers, which thin the mucus in your digestive tract and allow toxins in your gut to get into the rest of your system. I finally realized the cause (emulsifiers in food) and Dr. Davis suggested the effect (endotoxemia). He said in the Zoom meeting last night that was probably the cause, and that endotoxemia was a big factor in heart disease. 

Since cutting out emulsifiers like guar gum, gellan gum, lecithin, locust/carob bean gum and even palm oil (used in almond butter to homogenize it), the palpitations have gone and so have my puffy face, neck pain and TMJ pain. I'm sleeping better, feeling better and thinking more clearly. Did I mention it's been eight years since I felt this well? 

Victory! Photo from Unsplash.

You know how you feel after you've had a very long day--or several in a row? That's how I felt for five days. It was such a relief to relax, to finally feel like I was in a quiet body again, that I just wanted to sit and savor the feeling. 

So, what foods am I avoiding now? 

  • Cream cheese (I can't find any without gums), 
  • Almond butter without an oil layer (if it doesn't have an oil layer, it's emulsified)
  • Cream (except Kalona, the only brand I can find without thickeners)
  • Chocolate (if it has lecithin)
  • Protein powder (even Paleo Pro has lecithin--bummer!)
  • Coconut milk (except Native Forest Simple)
  • Kind bars (thickeners)

And some food I've avoided anyway because of other junky ingredients:

  • Salad dressing (except Primal Kitchen and homemade)
  • Almond milk (that trip in the ambulance permanently put me off it)
  • Non-dairy creamer (it's pure junk)
  • Quest bars (has thickeners and erythritol, a sugar alcohol that gives me more rumbling and gas than a border blockade)
Avoiding all this food has been surprisingly easy. I've had coffee, half-and-half and homemade yogurt with strawberries and green banana for breakfast, meat, cheese and vegetables for lunch, and homemade trail mix with nuts, seeds, coconut flakes and unsweetened cranberries as a snack. Dinner is random food (all low-carb) from the kitchen. For substitutions, I'll try ricotta cheese for cheese cake and gelatin for a thickener. 

I told the good news of my recovery to someone who said that's great, but you shouldn't wait eight years to find out what's causing your palpitations. First, I have a calcium score of zero, so I'm at around zero risk for a heart attack. Second, Dr. Google says cardiologists don't know what causes palpitations aside from stress. Going to see a coin-operated pill dispenser would have been a waste of time and money--especially money since the dispensers take Benjamins. The only person I could find online who got rid of his palpitations said he thoroughly cleaned up his diet and ate a lot of fermented foods. This was from ten years ago. If people commonly solved their palpitations, you'd think there would be more accounts of it. 

Is this the answer for everyone's palpitations? I have no idea. I only know avoiding food emulsifiers and thickeners is a no-risk solution you can try yourself.

Comments

So pleased for you Lori.

Thank you for sharing your story and what has worked for you.

All the best Jan

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...