Skip to main content

Thyroid: Hormonal Dunning-Kruger Syndrome

It's been quite an adventure riding this sparking and sputtering thyroid. It started back in the highly stressful year of 2014 when I had mountains of work on my desk, an hour-long commute, and aging parents who themselves were sputtering along and constantly needed me to come over to help them. Then my coworker quit and I had all the work to do. I asked if I could go live with her in Mexico, only half joking.

My father died. My mother nearly died of kidney failure. Then stayed with me for two weeks during and leading up to the estate sale. We surrendered her dog when she couldn't take care of him. In thanks for my hard work, I was accused of elder abuse. (The county found no grounds for the accusations.)

I had a root canal and three courses of antibiotics. Then I moved across the country: I bought one house before selling the other (albeit in Denver's hot real estate market) and had no permanent job lined up in Indiana. Then finding my best friend had changed quite a bit, we went our separate ways. It was near the end of 2015 by this time, and I spent Christmas day in bed when I wasn't throwing up.

Through this time, I had scary heart palpitations, trouble sleeping, and after the antibiotics, cystic acne. I lost weight. My stomach felt off. I looked a little bit like a meth user--not helpful as a Colorado native looking for a job in Indiana. After I got here, I was finally able to rest. It was three months before I felt like going back to work full-time again. I spent most of the day playing video games--it was all I had the energy for.

I knew something was physically wrong with me--like I'd caught a strange virus. I know now that it was probably adrenal and/or thyroid problems, likely brought on by stress.

So my roller coaster ride, physically and situationally, was over once I got to Indiana. Well, not exactly. Indiana is in the goiter belt--there's not much iodine in the soil here. That's not good for your thyroid! Plus, I was eating some bad foods because I was still stressed out, mentally and physically.

Late last year (2018), I decided to have another go at low-carb, clean eating. I was even good on Christmas--no dessert. I started making a low-carb latte for breakfast and started feeling better. I found out that just about everything in it was antimicrobial--and that Dr. Davis was advocating botanical oils--and so I joined his Inner Circle. It sounds like something with funny handshakes and interesting costumes, but it's basically a web site you can join for a fee. I posted that I was tired and keto REALLY wasn't working for me, and someone suggested a thyroid test (along with doing the Undoctored program of diet and supplements). I didn't think it was my thyroid, since I wasn't overweight, wasn't depressed, usually didn't need to run the heater in the car in the winter, and had enough hair for two people. But the test showed hypothyroid. Later I learned that probably did account for my ears itching--I'd been poking and scraping them until they bled since 2014--and the puffy eyes and creeping weight gain and bloating and the feeling that there was no point to my life. I'd been thinking I'd accomplished what I'd set out to do, that the living was easy in Indiana, la la la...I had the hormonal equivalent of Dunning-Kruger Syndrome: I was too sick to realize I was sick.

I started taking kelp pills as an iodine supplement and began to feel better, but a follow-up test still showed free T3 and free T4 (important thyroid hormones) at the low end of normal. Normal doesn't mean optimal. So I started taking natural desiccated thyroid (NDT), which is available over-the-counter. Wow--I felt great...for the better part of a week. By the end of the week, I was back to video games, and looked like I hadn't slept in a week. I upped the dose, and feel back to my old self. I hope it continues.

I chose NDT supplements because it was just easier than trying to find an endocrinologist who was hip to proper thyroid treatment. Everything I've read says that the standard of care is terrible--that they generally only test TSH (free T3, free T4, reverse T3 and the antibodies are important, too) and that they tend to put people on insufficient doses of synthetic T4. Why go through the hassle when you can order some natural, old-school hormones online?

Recommended reading:
Stop the Thyroid Madness (book and website)
Wheat Belly Total Health chapter on Thyroid
Undoctored by William Davis (book and website)

Comments

You've certainly not had things easy!!!

Thanks for sharing your story.
I think it's important to do this because it can, and does, help others.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
It's been a bumpy ride!
Denise said…
Where do you get NDT without a prescription? I'm in Florida and I think it's prescription-only here.
Lori Miller said…
I get a product called Thyrogold. They get around the Rx by not making any claims about how much of which hormones are in it.

There are a variety of thyroid medications available online--check out stopthethyroidmadness.com for more info.

Popular posts from this blog

An Objective Book about Other Childhood Vaccines

Today's decision by the CDC to add COVID shots to the schedule of childhood vaccines has some people concerned about the rest of the vaccines on the schedule. Contrary to fact-checker claims, adding COVID shots to the schedule means children will be required in about a dozen states to get a COVID shot to attend public school. Indiana isn't one of them--our childhood vaccination law doesn't mention the CDC and such a requirement could run afoul of our ban on COVID vaccine passports. But even freewheeling Indiana has some vaccine requirements and this kerfuffle has people wondering how safe those vaccines are.  There's a book called Vaccines: Truth, Lies and Controversy  by Peter C. Gotzsche, DrMedSci and co-founder of the Cochrane Collaboration, about the safety and efficacy of all those vaccines, including COVID and others. Cochrane was founded to "to organise medical research findings to facilitate evidence-based choices about health interventions involving healt

Battered Cod and my Eclipse Pictures of my Colander

If you miss battered cod on a low-carb, grain-free diet, here's a recipe that'll satisfy your craving. It's based on a Dr. Davis recipe. Battered cod and cole slaw Ingredients 1 pound cod fillets 2 eggs 2 tablespoons butter, melted 1/2 cup ground golden flaxseeds 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese 1/2 teaspoon onion powder 1/2 teaspoon salt 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper 1 teaspoon garlic powder Instructions Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the cod into 1-1/2 to 2 inch pieces. In a small bowl, whisk the eggs and butter. Beat continuously--don't let the butter cook the eggs. In a shallow bowl, combine the flaxseeds, cheese, onion powder, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Coat each piece of cod in the egg mixture and then roll in the in the flaxseed mixture. Place on the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, turning once. Eclipse Crescent Shadows Today was the total solar eclipse, and my house was in the "path of totality."

Eclipse Glasses, Probiotics for Heart, Muscle Recovery

Are your eclipse glasses fake? The total solar eclipse over North America is almost here, and Indianapolis is in the "path of totality," meaning the moon will completely block the sun here. A lot of people have gotten special glasses to safely look at the eclipse. But the American Astronomical Society says , "counterfeit and fake eclipse glasses are polluting the marketplace." Some of the counterfeit glasses appear to be safe, the society says, but others are fakes that are no more effective than sunglasses. One of the counterfeits they describe matches the glasses someone gave me. I don't know where she got them, and she's not someone I'd trust to perform adequate due diligence. I just got over an eye injury and I don't need another one--I'll try the pinhole method instead to see crescents during the eclipse if it's not too cloudy. Picture from  Pexels .  Heart Centered Probiotic I started getting scary heart palpitations several years ago

Diabetes Down, COVID Curiosities, New Glasses after Accident

Diabetes Down Despite Dietitians' Directions Last Sunday when I wrote about the grifters over at EatThis.com, which calls itself "Eat This, Not That," I was worked up enough to tweet to their medical expert board members if they stood by the site's article flogging sugary drinks and fast food for St. Patrick's Day. The site has over 1,300 articles, mostly puff pieces, on McDonald's and a news feed full of "the most important breaking news" on Doritos, burger joints and Chips Ahoy! I asked a dietitian who responded to me what exactly the "not that" part was in "Eat This, Not That." Important news about what you should eat! I was worked up until I remembered the saying, "You can't cheat an honest man." Meaning that this con, like a lot of others, requires some dishonesty on the part of the mark. Every Joe Six-Pack knows that cookies, chips and coffee-flavored milkshakes from Starbucks aren't health food. It takes s

My New Diet: How it's Going

Saturday I started a new diet to heal my cavities. It involves eating mostly foods high in vitamins A, D and K (fat-soluble vitamins) and calcium and phosphorus. I'm eating zero grains, but still eating a few chocolate candies (as in, three or so dark chocolate kisses per day) at work. To that end, on Saturday I bought a quart each of half-and-half and cream, two dozen eggs, liver, several tins of sardines on sale, and a bunch of salad ingredients. It's Monday and I'm already down to eight eggs and I've gone through half the cream and half-and-half. (I still have three-fourths of a pie dish of low-carb flan I made tonight with the dairy and eggs, and I fed a few of the eggs to my dog.) There's liver thawing in the refrigerator for tomorrow night and a can of sardines in my lunch (I already ate one can of sardines Saturday when I wanted a quick, easy snack). In other words, it's been incredibly easy to eat this food. I also changed my toothpaste to Xyliwhite(TM)