Skip to main content

Nuts: A Condiment, Not a Snack

Nuts seem like the perfect snack: they're portable, they keep well, they don't need to be cooked, and they're tasty. Problem: I don't feel good when I eat too many of them. Recently, I started snacking on macadamia nuts, which are high-fat, so I thought they wouldn't be a problem. But my stomach was upset, I got a bit of acid reflux and nosebleeds, and generally didn't feel up to par.

Nuts have phytates, which bind to zinc and other minerals. This might have caused my nosebleeds. And I don't know what it is about macadamia nuts, but they don't seem to digest well for me; they felt like they were sitting in my stomach causing bloating. I've felt pretty much the same way eating more than a little bit of nuts or goodies made with nut flour.

It could be that nuts are seeds and don't "want" to be eaten. Like grass seeds, they defend themselves by sickening those who ingest them. 

Comments

Almond said…
I find that soaking the nuts beforehand reduces the stomach trouble. Raw nuts are the most problematic for me.
Lori Miller said…
I used to do that, too, but the nuts didn't dry out afterward and it's too much trouble for me.
I'm ok with macadamia nuts, although I know some do find they can give problems. My one problem with them is they taste so good, it's easy to eat too many ....so I make sure I only have a handful.

All the best Jan,
Lori Miller said…
At $13.99 a pound, they make an expensive meal.
Galina L. said…
Somehow my inability to stop eating nuts is the thing of the past. Macadamias are so expensive, I don't remember when I bought it last time, may be a year ago.
Lori Miller said…
I have a new saying: if you can't stop, then don't start.
Yes, they are not cheap. But they are not a meal just a snack and I have no more than five/six at a time and not three times a day..... just once in a while.

I know many cannot do this but I keep them in an air tight jar .... it works for me.

But we all have to do what's best for us.....and as they are so delicious perhaps it's better not to start eating macadamias. How about almonds?

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Agreed--if a person ate more than a handful, it would be an expensive meal.

Thinking about it, almonds don't seem to give me any problem; neither to hazelnuts or pistachios. But macadamias and walnuts give me a stomach ache.
Galina L. said…
Hazelnuts are my favorite. Almonds leave a mild burning sensation in my mouth, but I regularly buy a thinly sliced type, sometimes I eat it with a yogurt, if I need an almond meal, I grind shivered almonds - it is twice less expensive than buying an almond flour. I keep all my nuts in a freazer to prevent unsaturated fats getting rancid.
Lori Miller said…
I never had a burning sensation with almonds, but if I eat more than one or two almond flour goodies (it's easy to do with something like Dr. Davis's wonderful pumpkin muffins), I'll get a stomach ache.
Galina L. said…
Nothing causes me GI pains.
Lori Miller said…
The good thing about GI pains is that it keeps you from eating a lot of junk. Distress within minutes or, at most, days is a better motivator than thinking about glycated proteins or hyperinsulemia and its effects 20 years away.
Galina L. said…
Yes,it is convenient, my problems with wrong food are allergies, rasocea (the fastest reaction) and joint pain are more delayed.
Lori Miller said…
I had some joint pain when I started LC, and within a month or so I didn't have to see a chiropractor anymore; in about six months I was able to carry a handbag again. My best friend's rheumatoid arthritis dissipated in three days after she start wheat-free.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...