Skip to main content

Atkins on Salad


"...you're allowed green salad with your lunch and dinner. Yes, even though this first week of the diet is called a carbohydrate-free diet and lettuce contains a tiny bit of carbohydrate....Given the amount of carbohydrate in these two salads, what happens in the body is approximately the same in 99 percent of dieters as if no salad had been eaten. So why not eat those salads? They are a lifesaver. To eat just protein and fat without the garden-fresh crispness that salad provides is a drudgery. So I thank the Lord that greens contain so little carbohydrate. Those salads make all the difference between a diet that's aesthetic, appetizing, human, and one that's an uncivilized drag." --Dr. Robert Atkins(1)

Dr. Atkins also said, "A patient christened the [Atkins Diet] the steak and salad diet--and that does rather sum up the plot of it."(2) So much for low carb diets in general and Atkins in particular being all-meat diets. Most people I see commenting online love to eat vegetables (and find them sweet since they've stopped eating sugary foods).

One thing I love about summer is the variety of salad greens you can eat. The photo shows a salad with home-grown lettuce (Burpee's Heat Wave Blend--oak leaf, romaine, and one I can't identify), nasturtium, lamb's quarters (a prolific and very nutritious weed in the Western U.S.), carrot tops, cilantro, and borage flowers. I added some balsamic vinaigrette. All that wonderful vitamin A in salad won't be absorbed without some fat along for the ride--and salad without dressing is a bit like a dance without music.

Some edible greens and flowers:

Turnip greens (sweet)
Mustard greens (spicy)
Carrot tops (taste like carrots)
Nasturtiums (leaves and flowers--spicy)
Catmint (minty, of course)
Dandelion greens (bitter)
Purslane (a weed--moist and mild)
Daylily flowers (Hemerocallis)
Borage flowers (fuzzy with the texture of a raspberry)
Squash blossoms

If anyone knows what squash blossoms or daylilies taste like, please chime in.

Source:

(1) Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution by Robert C. Atkins, M.D., 1972, p. 134.
(2) Ibid, p. 132.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Daylilies - varies according to variety... The small ones with light-colored flowers tastes better (milder). Try f.x common 'Stella d'Oro'. You start with tasting the near-flowering buds.

Some have compared the taste to "sweaty armpit", but I disagree. It's a sweet-pepper come horseraddish or rocket - not unlike the flavour of nasturium according to my taste buds. Used as a sprinkle of spice in the salat - like capers or olives I find them ... interesting. :D

btw - rocket flowers can also be used the same way.
Anonymous said…
Daililies varies according to variety and also watering. Plants experiencing draught will allways taste more (for better or worse).

If you like foraging weeds :) you're probably aware that you can make a quite tasty soup of stinging nettles?
Lori Miller said…
The bit about the stinging nettles sounds familiar and I see they grow in Colorado, but I can't remember actually seeing any. If I happen to see any in my yard or the alley, I'll give them a try.

The soil and climate definitely make a difference in the taste and appearance of plants. The hot days and cool nights here make for tasty produce (esp. tomatoes) and there are even wineries on the Western Slope (west side of the Rocky Mountains).

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...