Tonight at the wine club meetup I attended, a waiter brought out an appetizer tray of cheese, olives, berries, pate, fatty deli meats, olives and dense white bread. A Swiss member who arrived in the U.S. two weeks ago told me that was typical fare in Switzerland. (In fact, it was typical of what my best friend and I ate on vacation.) I'm not a fan of bread, but overall, the appetizers were real, traditional foods with natural fats and a moderate amount of carbohydrates. Perhaps eating this kind of food is why the Swiss enjoy one of the lowest rates of obesity.
Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...
Comments