Skip to main content

Five Types of Headaches

Years ago, I had suffered such bad and frequent headaches that I saw a doctor--something I rarely did. He asked me what my complaint was, I said it was headaches, and he referred me to a hospital to get a $700 scan. Not having $700 or health insurance, the headaches continued. I've since read that some doctors get a referral fee from hospitals when they send patients there. I suppose that even making a pretense of trying to diagnose the cause of my headaches might have cost him his kickback.

I've since found five causes of my headaches, though I doubt anything would have turned up on an MRI.

Sinus pressure. Sinus headaches are behind the eyes, in the cheeks and sometimes in the upper teeth. I take Sudafed PE for these, as often as directed. Acupressure at the points beside my nostrils helps, too.

TMJ. This can feel like a sinus headache. If relaxing my jaw for a few minutes helps, I know it's at least partly from carrying tension there. I put in my splint, take ibuprofin, and do my best to relax. Although acupressure helps some people with TMJ problems, I've never found it found it useful for that problem.

Neck pain. These can be from either misalignment of the spine or neck tension. I tend to feel these on the top of my head (tension) or near my neck (misalignment). I do some neck stretching and try to get my neck to pop. If I wake up with this kind of heachache, it's usually because I need to prop up my pillow by putting a towel under it. Acupressure at the point between my collar bone and shoulder blade, and gripping my neck muscles both help; so does massaging my neck.

Hunger or fatigue. The hunger headache is easy to fix, but if it's fatigue, I just have to slog through the day and drink high-octane tea (English breakfast). I've had fewer fatigue headaches since I stopped staying out until 11 pm on weeknights.

I take ibuprofin for all of these headaches. I don't wait for the pain to become intense; it's better to stop them early than wait for muscle spasms to begin.

Comments

Anonymous said…
I just commented on reflux from carbs ---
ibuprofen seems to be a serious cause of my esophagus chest pain so I've quit it. At the diabetes hospital class the (diabetic)instructor mentioned that she takes NOTHING for her migraines -- made me think - I have all types of headaches and find codeine, ibuprofen, etc mostly make me worse and only help very short term if at all. Migraine roll on stick (peppermint oil etc) rubbed carefully (watch for fumes into eyes) on forehead and back of neck HELPS.
Lori Miller said…
I've never had a migraine headache, but according to what I've read, they can lead to or be a sign of something seriously wrong. They shouldn't go unchecked.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...