Thursday, July 4, 2013

Bored with Steak and Salad?

How about almond-crusted liver and gathered greens & veg with refreshing paleo ranch dressing.


Home-grown lettuce (along with a little from the farmer's market), nasturtium, lamb's quarters and borage flowers along with cucumber and bell peppers make for an interesting salad.

To make the liver, have a beaten egg and some almond meal ready. (I take a handful of almonds and put them in the food processor with the S blade for a few minutes.) Cut the film off the liver and cut the liver into pieces about 1.5" square. Roll the pieces in the egg, then in the almond meal and fry in lard over medium heat.

7 comments:

Carole Sampson said...

I have borage in my garden, I didn't realize the flowers were edible.
I do this with chicken too, coat it with almond meal mixed with spices or herbs.

Lori Miller said...

In the Primal Blueprint Cookbook, they do that with a poached egg, too.

I wonder how the food rewardists feel about pretty food. I'm sure they'd find some problem with it.

tess said...

Carole, one of the best fates a "boneless skinless low-fat chicken breast fillet" can hope for is to be rolled in a mixture of parmesan cheese and almond flour, fried in coconut oil and served with a good home-made marinara or pesto. :-D

crumbed and fried poached egg, Lori? sounds glorious, but doesn't the yolk turn out hard?

Exceptionally Brash said...

Hey, no more than two colors of flowers at a time, so a pack of multicolored nasturtium seeds is out of the question.

Lori Miller said...

I can't remember since I haven't made this in a few years, so I looked it up. The book says to poach it for two minutes, then coat and fry it. It sounds like the yolk shouldn't get too rubbery.

Lori Miller said...

Sad to say, but my nasturtiums are in the back yard, where the color scheme is mostly pink and white, with some blue borage and love-in-a-mist and some purple volunteers. I should have planted them in the shaded pot in the front, where it's all yellow and white.

Lori Miller said...

Your recipe for boneless, skinless chicken breast sounds great, but I got so sick of that cut of meat that I'd almost rather use it to patch my dance shoes.