Skip to main content

Packing and Losing

My year-and-a-half-long love affair with take-out is over. It started when I was selling my house in Colorado: take-out kept the kitchen clean. After I got to Indiana, I started out working part-time and didn't have much human contact at work. Getting take-out brought me some human contact. I was tired of cooking, too.

My weight crept up to the point on the scale where I don't let it go any higher. Even though I ordered food that sounded low-carb, the restaurant information showed 20, 30, or 40 grams of carbohydrate per dish. One Sunday night recently, I made too much chef's salad and took the rest to work the next day. I kept going--I brought my lunch to work every day for a week. Five pounds fell off.

Packing my lunch hasn't been that hard--I was just tired of doing it and then fell into another habit. Now, I usually make a big dinner and take the leftovers to work, along with a low-carb dessert.

What if I don't feel like packing a lunch (or making dinner)?

  • Atkins dinners are available close to home and work.
  • Hardee's makes a good lettuce-wrapped burger.
  • CVS has macadamia nuts (but they're expensive).
  • A roasted chicken is an easy dinner and allows for leftovers.

What hasn't or wouldn't work?

  • Take-out from most restaurants. It's either too carby or too small.
  • Meal delivery services. They're expensive AND you still have to cook and clean up. It's the worst of both worlds. Besides, what happens to them if you're not home when they're delivered? 
  • Atkins bars--they give me gas.

The appeal of the "meal delivery service" eludes me. They're not actually meals, just ingredients in a box with a recipe. The ingredients still have to be chopped and cooked and the dishes done. It doesn't save you a trip to the grocery store since you still have to go there for coffee, bacon, and dish soap.
Restaurant meals tend to be full of sugar and starch. When you pass up the bread, rice and potatoes, you see how little there is to the meals. Indy's fabulous food scene is mostly a wasteland for me. However, the climate here makes it a great place to garden and there's plenty of traditionally raised pork--including bacon, lard and several kinds of sausage--near my home. I bought some the other day and made green chile with pork: I had a cold, and I couldn't find green chile here for love nor money. It's made some great lunches, and despite my being sick, it wasn't that hard to make.

Comments

Larcana said…
I've gotten to this point as well. I know what's in the dish I made, not so much with restaurants.
It's also, a pricey thing to eat out.
Lori Miller said…
I'm curious how Panda Express manages to get 40-50 grams of carb in a little meat and vegetable dish. Sugar and corn starch, I suppose.
"However, the climate here makes it a great place to garden and there's plenty of traditionally raised pork--including bacon, lard and several kinds of sausage--near my home."
Sounds good Lori, just add some low carb vegetables!

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
I just got your comment, Jan. I've got more low-carb vegetables in the garden than I can eat!
Val said…
What seems to be working the best in my cobbled-together plan is batch cooking... Bcz I certainly don't feel like starting a big cooking project after a long hard day at work!
Lori Miller said…
I usually bring leftovers from dinner.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...