Skip to main content

Some Great Products I've Found

I've found some great products over the past couple of weeks I'd like to share. I'm not affiliated with the companies that make or sell these products.

Organicville Sesame Teriyaki Sauce

Image from vitacost.com


With four grams of carb in a tablespoon, this sauce is a lot lower-carb than most others. It's not too sweet, either. It has a bit of soybean oil, so it's not paleo-kosher, but it's just a condiment, eaten by the spoonful. I stir-fried some onion, broccoli, bell peppers and cherry tomatoes, added some pulled pork and sauce, and had a dinner worthy of my favorite Chinese restaurant in 15 minutes. Purchased at Sprouts.

Nutiva Shortening



It's shortening without transfats or frankenoils! This shortening is made with palm fruit oil, unrefined red palm oil and unrefined coconut oil. Palm oil is a source of CoQ10, carotenes and vitamin E. According to some other sites I've read, palm oil shortening is made by removing some of the polyunsaturated fats, making the oil solid at room temperature. The product is soft, tasteless, and easy to work with; I made a terrific batch of low-carb cookies with it. Purchased at Sprouts.

Hada Labo Replenishing Hydrator: Super moisturizer/healer


For the most part, I haven't had dry skin since starting a low-carb, high fat diet. But through some neglect of my health last year, my lips got very chapped (a lifelong problem before low-carb) and weren't improving much, even with Carmex. I got a new moisturizer the other day (Hada Labo replenishing hydrator) and tried a tiny amount on my lips--and the stuff was magic! The active ingredient is hyaluronic acid, something your body makes, but diminishes with age. Super hyaluronic acid (its proprietary ingredient) attracts and binds water and is capable of holding 1,000 times its own weight in water. It's not just a cosmetic, it has healing properties. I use it in combination with a regular lip balm. And as the web site says, it plumps your skin--my lips are as puffed up now as a pouty model's. Note that the product isn't indicated as a lip balm, but doesn't say to avoid ingestion.  (ETA: it does, in fact, say "for external use only.") Use it this way at your own discretion. Purchased at Ulta.

Comments

Larcana said…
I like Organicville products, too. I'll have to try the shortening.
Thanks,
Lauren
tess said…
yes! definitely sounds like i should try them!
Lori Miller said…
I think you'll both be pleased.
Always nice to share thoughts about products ....... shame I'm in the UK but we do have great products here too!

BTW how did you find the first weeks of your course?

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
It's been a challenging course so far. We've been learning about how genes are mapped and how they can work together or separately to bring about traits (or phenotypes). The first few lectures, though, were about the evidence for evolution, along with a mathematical proof for evolution.
Val said…
Thanks for the tips - I'm definitely gonna try that moisturizer! My lips have always been thin & pale...
Still working thru pantry-reorganization - I've got a wide assortment of "fancy" condiments, some primal & some not!
Lori Miller said…
It's awesome for fine lines, too. For me, it's like ten years younger in a jar. YMMV.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...