Skip to main content

How I Conquered Acne with Diet

Not many 44-year-olds can say that they still get acne--but I can. I've been on just about every acne treatment out there for pimples and cysts, but my acne came back every time I went off them. None of the over-the-counter products did any good. (Luckily, my skin didn't incur much damage from all this.) But on my new regimen, I'm almost 100% free of acne, and I've also noticed I don't sunburn as easily. I spent much of yesterday wearing shorts, but not sunscreen, in the sun and my legs didn't even tan, despite my fair skin and the high altitude. (My back burned the previous weekend, but didn't peel.) Here's what I'm doing:

No dairy except for butter. Certain dairy spikes insulin beyond what the carb content would suggest; some people are also sensitive to dairy proteins. "Nuclear FoxO1 deficiency [which dairy can cause] has been linked to all major factors of acne pathogenesis," says this study. This article by Loren Cordain presents observational and intervention studies indicating that dairy consumption can lead to acne.Again, though, I haven't found that butter affects me, which makes sense since butter doesn't spike insulin and doesn't have whey or casein. I get dark chocolate made without dairy; Theo is one good brand.

No flavored or instant coffee. Some of those nut-flavored coffees are flavored with chemicals and solvents that tear up my stomach and my skin. I don't know what the story is with instant coffee, but it doesn't work for me, either.

Vitamins. I take a daily multi-vitamin called Hair, Skin & Nails by GNC that has vitamin A and zinc, among other things, and herbs that are supposed to lower blood sugar. Even though I eat a nutrient-rich diet, I have trouble absorbing nutrients, so the vitamins are necessary for me. I also take vitamin K2 and vitamin D3.

Low-carb, high-fat, nutrient-rich diet. Keeping the carbs low helps control the insulin, and dietary fat is necessary for good skin. When I started a LCHF diet a few years ago, I noticed how much smoother and more resilient my skin was overall. I eat 1/4 to 1/2 pound of calf liver and at least two cans of sardines or other fatty fish per week because they're so rich in nutrients. I don't eat grains, beans or fruit. A typical day's menu is two scrambled eggs with mushrooms, black decaf coffee, a can of sardines with some bell peppers, mayonnaise and salt, a bacon hamburger with a green salad, salted sweet potato fries and a diet soda, and a handful of nuts and one-third bar of dark chocolate as a snack. Any frying is done in real lard (not the hydrogenated kind); I make my own mayonnaise with light olive oil.

Exfoliating. I use a gritty exfoliant every other day to get the dead skin cells out of the way and keep them from clogging my pores.

Drying up pimples. I use a dab of Queen Helene Mint Julep Mask on breakouts at night. Just remember to wash it off in the morning!

Comments

Interesting to read your article and what you have found definitely works for you. It is always good to share and learn other peoples experiences. I was most interested in your comment "I noticed how much smoother and more resilient my skin was ", since I have been on a LCHF lifestyle I have found the same, I just wonder how many others may have found this too?.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
My sister had acne--a lot worse than I did--and she was constantly drinking Pepsi and coffee with milk.

I wish I'd known what I know now 30 years ago. Back then, doctors said that diet didn't have anything to do with acne.

Popular posts from this blog

An Objective Book about Other Childhood Vaccines

Today's decision by the CDC to add COVID shots to the schedule of childhood vaccines has some people concerned about the rest of the vaccines on the schedule. Contrary to fact-checker claims, adding COVID shots to the schedule means children will be required in about a dozen states to get a COVID shot to attend public school. Indiana isn't one of them--our childhood vaccination law doesn't mention the CDC and such a requirement could run afoul of our ban on COVID vaccine passports. But even freewheeling Indiana has some vaccine requirements and this kerfuffle has people wondering how safe those vaccines are.  There's a book called Vaccines: Truth, Lies and Controversy  by Peter C. Gotzsche, DrMedSci and co-founder of the Cochrane Collaboration, about the safety and efficacy of all those vaccines, including COVID and others. Cochrane was founded to "to organise medical research findings to facilitate evidence-based choices about health interventions involving healt

Fined NY Midwife is just a Quack

If you donated to Jeanette Breen's GiveSendGo fund thinking she'd saved kids from getting the clot shot, I'm afraid to tell you that you can't get your money back . Quack, quack! Photo from Unsplash Breen is a midwife in New York City who was handing out "Real Immunity homeoprophylaxis" pellets in lieu of childhood vaccines, and then falsifying vaccination records. The pellets appear to be these --which Renovo Natural Health is selling for hundreds of dollars. Breen's scheme started in 2019, before COVID was a thing in the US.  The New York State Health Department says , It should be noted that these actions began prior to the COVID-19 pandemic and did not include the COVID vaccine . The immunizations that were part of the scheme included: diphtheria, tetanus toxoid-containing and pertussis vaccine (DTaP or Tdap); hepatitis B vaccine; measles, mumps and rubella vaccine (MMR); polio vaccine; varicella (Chickenpox) vaccine; meningococcal conjugate vaccine (M

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm

1972: Carole King, M*A*S*H and...Food for 2014?

I feel well enough to try Atkins induction again. The palpitations are gone, even without taking potassium. My energy level is back to normal--no more trucking on the treadmill early in the morning  to burn off nervous energy or emergency meat, cheese and mineral water stops after yoga. It's back to lounging around to Chopin and Debussy in the morning and stopping at the wine bar for pleasure. I'm using the original Atkins book: Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution from 1972. While looking in the book for a way to make gelatin (which is allowed on induction, but Jello(TM) and products like it have questionable ingredients), I felt the earth move under my feet : those recipes from 42 years ago look delicious and they're mostly real food. It makes sense, though: the cooks who wrote the recipes probably didn't have had a palette used to low-fat food full of added sugar or a bag of tricks to make low-fat food edible. Anyone who writes a recipe called "Cottage Cheese and

The Low-Carb Fraud: A Review

T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study, has written a new book (more of a report at 57 pages) called The Low-Carb Fraud. Let's start with what Dr. Campbell gets right: There are different kinds of carbohydrates. Most carbohydrates are broken down into glucose in the intestine. Refined carbohydrates are bad.  Low carb diets are fun! (I swear I'm not making this up) Calories don't matter unless you're going to extremes. People lose weight on low carbohydrate diets. People lower their insulin levels on low carbohydrate diets. That's about it. Mostly, he slanders low-carb proponents and he lies, lies again, and lies some more. He lies when he doesn't need to lie. To wit:  " Dr. Atkins' Diet Revolution ...had not been especially successful in the marketplace." According to Dr. Atkins' obituary in The New York Times, " its various editions sold more than 15 million copies, making it one of the best selling books ever.&qu