Skip to main content

The Decadent Diet

Dedicated low-carbers like to describe their way of eating as nutritious, filling, healthy and traditional. But what about people who want to eat decadently, not Puritanically? Who are sick of busybody goody-goodies and diet police? Low carb is good for them, too. On what other diet can you eat dip for dinner and dessert for breakfast?

Guacamole, pork rinds, crispy fried pork (fried in lard, seasoned with salt).
This isn't a cheat meal--you can have this every night and eat until you're full since there are hardly any carbs there. (Note that you can't substitute corn chips--they're too carby. And don't get guacamole that's full of carbs.) If the dinner looks a little skimpy, it's because I saved room for dessert.

Low carb, non dairy chocolate ice cream. It does have carbs in it, so go easy. Recipe here.
I'm not sure if this is what some people call "rewarding food," but I'm full. Granted, I was never obese, but I'm from a family full of wonky blood sugar and I know how it feels to be hungry enough to eat the wallpaper a couple of hours after a low-fat, starchy meal. Before I started low carb, I could put away a bag of cookies in a sitting. People knew not to get between me and a pan of brownies or pizza. In all other areas of life, I'm self-controlled: I've never bounced a check, never missed a deadline at work, and never tried drugs because I knew I'd be addicted to anything I really liked.

For most people, a low carb diet quells their appetite. Various clinical studies have found that people on low-carb diets spontaneously reduce their calorie intake.

You can be decadent on LC, but not out of control: starchy and sugary foods are out (or limited to very small amounts). Without the blood sugar swings those foods can bring on, though, it's easier to stay in control.

Comments

Anonymous said…
Great post, Lori. That pork looks wonderful! And guacamole - mmm mmm!
I think 'rewarding food' is a problem when it gives no physical satisfaction. As the food eaten in LCHF is so satisfying, it doesn't matter if it IS gorgeous and rewarding - the physical satisfaction signals will override the 'rewarding' signals.
Oh my God - I'll have to put that on my blog!
Lori Miller said…
Some food (like wheat) has druglike effects; it's hard for me to stop eating it once I start. And Tom Naughton recently mentioned in the comments on his blog that some studies show that unnourishing food doesn't quell appetite as well as nutritious food. Meat, eggs and veg are highly nutritious--more so than grains.
Hi Lori, enjoyed this post. Those who already eat LCHF know that it is satisfying and to those who haven't tried it yet I'd certainly recommend it.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Nothing wrong with giving it a two-week trial (since that's how long it takes to adapt to it). If you don't like it, you can go back to whatever you were doing before.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...