Skip to main content

Jacek's Wheat Belly Transformation: What Happened to the Comments?

Over at the Wheat Belly blog, Dr. Davis posted a "before and after" set of pictures of "Jacek" from Poland, who claimed to have lost 20kg (44 pounds). A few readers commented that things didn't look right: the lighting, clothing and facial expression were all very different in what looked like a photo studio setting, where these could have easily been kept about the same. And Jacek really didn't look that much lighter.



I added my opinion as a former professional photographer: the camera angle, lighting and setting looked professionally done, that the lighting in the "before" photo was coming from both sides, emphasizing texture (like wrinkles), lighting both sides of the face, making it look wider. Side lighting typically isn't used in portraits for these reasons. Jacek was wearing frumpy clothes and had stubble and gray hair in the before photo, things known to make people look ten years older. In the "after" photo, he was clean shaven (head and face), had a normal expression and wore well-fitting clothes. The lighting came more from the front and cast a shadow under his jaw (minimizing any appearance of a double chin) and the side of his face (making his face look thinner). Jacek's neck (width and tone) look the same, whereas most WB before-and-after photos show people with much thinner necks.

Note also that it looks like he's wearing the same belt, but the length of it that's sticking out from the buckle is about the same in both pictures (you can see the shadow of the belt on the jeans in the after photo).

In other words, the photographer knew what he or she was doing, and in my opinion, it was a stunt. A few other readers said they didn't see any great transformation, either. All our comments are gone now.

We have a saying where I work: when in doubt, don't. I generally like Dr. Davis's work and think he has the best interests of his readers in mind. But enough doubt has been cast on this "transformation" of Jacek that the post--not the comments--should have been taken down.

Comments

Galina L. said…
While I like the work of Dr.Davis, I do think that he acts like a fraud, or at least in a style of a shady sale person. It is , actually, very sad.
Lori Miller said…
I don't think he's a fraud. I do think his enthusiasm exceeds his judgment sometimes.

IMO, eliminating wheat is so beneficial for so many of us that we don't need any faked results. Anything with a hint of fakery ought to be put in the no-thank-you pile.
Galina L. said…
The wheat elimination is very beneficial for many if not for most people,so there is no actual fraudulence behavior, but I am afraid that Dr.Davis could be an easy target for his critics just because his presentations are often on an overenthusiastic side.
tess said…
I just looked at his site: the comments are there now. :-) either his site was misbehaving, or he replaced them....

I agree -- Davis's basic work was important, but he seems to have slipped down the self-promotion slope. he'd better be careful, for his career's sake AND the sake of his "mission."
Lori Miller said…
Some of the comments are back; some of them aren't.

I agree with you both. A reputation takes years to build and five minutes to tear down. It's better to be cautious than to give your critics a target.
Galina L. said…
Unfortunately, propaganda works better than an education, and PR matters.Most people I know who stopped eating bread have read the "Wheat Belly", and they think at the same time that Dr.Atkins is a devil reincarnated.
Lori Miller said…
Heh heh. They might be surprised to read this:
http://www.cureality.com/blog/post/2010/03/18/atkins-diet-common-errors.html

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...