Skip to main content

Cereal Killers Documentary Reaches Milestone; Breakfast without Cereal

Re: the movie Cereal Killers, a documentary about a man who starts researching heart disease and puts his own hypothesis to the test, has reached a milestone. This just in:

We are delighted to report that Cereal Killers has reached the 100% funding milestone on kickstarter folks!

To each and every one of the 183 persons who have carried us over the line and into new terrain - THANK YOU!

SO...What happens next?

Well for us, we just take a deep breath and we keep going....
The momentum, awareness and goodwill generated by a successful kickstarter campaign is only bettered by a super successful kickstarter campaign. Sometimes projects REALLY catch fire and that's where we're aiming next.
Kickstarter promotes projects that look like they're gonna take off, and they do that based on the number of pledges and the hype a project is creating on the internet.
Now that we have reached our target, every £1 pledge or tweet or facebook share adds weight to our visibility where it matters.
We have 11 days to make the most of all this, so we're getting back to work to make your pledge work harder for Cereal Killers.
I'm really looking forward to seeing this movie.

So if you're not eating cereal (or toast, or bagels, or pastries or "heart-healthy-whole-grain-oatmeal") for breakfast, what's left to eat? What about a BLT without bread? If you don't like vegetables, maybe you've never tried any from a farmer's market or someone's back yard. The taste and texture are very different from what passes for lettuce and tomato from the grocery store or most restaurants.

BLT without bread. Homemade mayonnaise (recipe here) at right.
Yesterday, my mother asked me to pick up some bread for my father. Sorry, no can do. I'm not getting sugar for a diabetic. Instead, I made them a loaf of coconut flour bread (it's mostly eggs and butter; recipe from Cooking with Coconut Flour by Bruce Fife). My father hasn't tried it yet, but my mother liked it and remarked how filling it was.

But some people really, really love to have cereal. Mom is such a person, so I made her a hot "cereal" mix of flax seeds, coconut and ground almonds (recipe from Wheat Belly by William Davis--click for a bunch of his recipes). It was a bit more work than throwing a box of cereal in a cart, but again, it's filling and it isn't a box of flour and sugar that will raise her blood sugar.

Comments

Your BLT without bread looks great, we had something similar for lunch, just love salads.
You are doing your mom and dad proud with the low carb food, great idea to make your own "cereal" it is so worth it. Shame more people do not take this view. What is 15 minutes extra on a day to provide great tasting low carb food. We are all worth it surely?

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Jan. I know it's a cliche, but the time and money spent on nutritious food is an excellent investment.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...