Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving!

 It's Thanksgiving, and at my house, that means it's time for...stratifying seeds to plant next year. 

Native perennial seeds. Click to enlarge.

Eighty-seven plants are going to replace the last strip of lawn along the south side of my house next year. I am feeling up to the job! But first, most of the seeds will have to put in a wet coffee filter in a plastic bag in the refrigerator for a month or two. This simulated winter will let the seeds know it's time to sprout. Then I will plant them in seed trays and put them under LED lights in the basement. The plants should be full-grown in 2023. 

As for Thanksgiving dinner, somehow I don't miss it this year. I disbanded my meetup group a few years ago and the cousin I spent Thanksgiving with last year is visiting relatives in Kansas. Before the meetups and the cousin, Thanksgiving usually meant a big, noisy affair with little kids running around screaming and adults who didn't make two words of conversation because they were busy cooking or watching football or, mostly, we didn't have anything in common. The dinner was dry turkey and high-carb side dishes. 

Today, on the other hand, I'll make a low-carb pumpkin pie, collards and figure out something for a main course. The restaurant I was planning to go to is permanently closed. Maybe it's just as well that I'm sticking to the plan that enabled me to regain my health.


Comments

Happy Thanksgiving Lori.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Jan!

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...