Skip to main content

Better Arguments in Ten Years?

"If you won't tell us, the bet is off, that is all. But I'm always ready to back my opinion on a matter of fowls, and I have a fiver on it that the bird I ate is country bred." [Sherlock Holmes]

"Well then, you've lost your fiver, for it's town bred," snapped the salesman.

Sherlock Holmes gathering clues in "The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle"

In ten years, will urban poultry growing be so common that we'll be arguing whether country birds or city birds are better? Will medical appointments be so difficult and antibiotics so ineffective that we'll argue whether a sick friend should take vitamin D, coconut oil or phage for her bad cold? Will be be eating more pigweed and lamb's quarters? Giving funny looks to low-fat fossils?

Doctors aren't mean, most of the just haven't caught on. May the population get so well that they'll have time to raise some birds!

Comments

horfilmania said…
When I visited the old country, almost everyone in the city had chickens in their back yards, with no fences. The chickens kept track of who they belonged to by coming home to roost every night. Same with white geese in the villages. Literally hundreds of geese socialized in one big group during the day and then all separated to their homes every night. It was an awesome sight.
Lori Miller said…
The city gardens must be well-fertilized.
Interesting point. Will we be 'arguing whether country birds or city birds are better'. Do you think with chicken keeping getting more popular not only will city gardens be well fertilized they may be noisier too?

Having said that you can't beat a freshly laid egg

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
I haven't spent a lot of time around chickens, but based on what little experience I have, they don't make much noise compared to the traffic, barking dogs, screaming kids and blaring radios where I live. In my immediate area, there's no room for hundreds of birds to roam freely, but Denver varies quite a bit almost from one block to the next. I can think of places by the tracks, the river and some streams where it could happen if enough people kept enough birds.
Julie D said…
Let's hope it comes to that :) I can't wait until low fat diets are in the trash for good, and everyone owns chickens (it'll be a while before it happens for me; they're not legal to own in my city).

Really nice blog, by the way!
Lori Miller said…
Thanks, Julie.
tess said…
here, neighborhood chickens are limited to four hens per family (no roosters allowed). apparently, someone on the next street has a flock that i was never aware of till very recently! :-) the girl two houses down just began chicken-keeping, but has lost a pair of pullets to predators already.... i need to ask her how it's going!
Lori Miller said…
In Denver, it's eight chickens and/or ducks, no roosters--but you can't slaughter them. However, I'm just outside the city limits in Englewood, where no such ordinances exist.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...