Skip to main content

TMJ Headaches Again; DIY Healing; Heat; No Juice is Good Juice

This past month or so, I've had TMJ headaches in the morning, along with some mild stomach issues and acne the past week or so. I think it's muscle memory from years ago, back when I wore a night guard for TMJ pain.

Since getting my braces off and getting dental implant in early June, I've been wearing an upper retainer at night. When I wear it to bed, it reminds me of the old upper retainer I used to wear when I was grinding my teeth some years ago after a car wreck. I think I've started grinding my teeth at night again. I wasn't grinding my teeth just before I got my implant, when I was wearing a retainer during the day. I'm not grinding my teeth now, wearing my retainer after dinner and before bed, as my orthodontist recommended. Since I haven't worn my retainer for a few nights, my headaches and neck pain are gone. My skin is clearing up, too. (Inflammation can become systemic and affect other parts of the body.)

*****

The toe I stubbed a month ago is continuing to heal. When I injured it, I recalled my visit to an orthopedic surgeon last year when I fractured my arm. He looked at my arm, looked at the x-rays, and said, "It'll probably heal on its own in a month." That's what $300 got me. I decided to save my money this time and trust that my body knew how to heal a badly stubbed toe. I put a Bandaid on top and used another Bandaid to attach a piece of cotton ball between the toe pad and the ball of my foot for support. After three days, I was walking fairly well on it. It got infected; I healed the infection with hydrogen peroxide and coconut oil. I have a new toenail now, but it's still thin, sensitive and funny-looking, so I'm still wearing a Bandaid on it. The other toenails are sporting an injury-inspired nail color. And I've kept my money.

OPI Nail Lacquer in You Don't Know Jacques!
You Don't Know Jaques! from OPI. Image from Allure.com.
*****

Speaking of Allure magazine, this month's issue (September 2013) says that high heat ("overheated workouts") can cause free radicals in the skin and can worsen hyperpigmentation and rosacea. I say overheated workouts are miserable. Exercise that makes you feel that lousy probably isn't good for you.

*****

Would you believe Allure also gives a thumbs-down to juice fasts? They quote a professor of dermatology who says that all that sugar (comparable to a can of Coke) spikes blood sugar and insulin, along with androgen, an acne-causing male hormone. It also AGEs* you:

Sugar molecules in the bloodstream can also latch onto and degrade collagen and elastin fibers in a process called glycation, which leads to wrinkles and sagging....The skin needs protein to build new collagen and elastin, and nut-derived milks** are also rich in good fats--essential for a healthy, hydrated skin barrier.

What--fats are essential and sugar is bad? Next issue, maybe they'll be telling us that whole grain bread is  just as junky as a danish.

*AGE = advanced glycation end products. You don't want candy-coated collagen, do you?
**Beware carrageenan, a thickener used in many nut-derived milks. It's an inflammatory.

"Surprise Skin Sins" by Jolene Edgar. Allure magazine, September 2013, page 236.

Comments

tess said…
"ouch" on many levels -- feel better soon! :-) on the other hand, it's encouraging to hear sensible advice about nutrition in a magazine!
Lori Miller said…
Thanks--I'm already feeling better.
Galina L. said…
I just placed a special order for a pasteurized (as opposite to ultra-pasteurized) grass-fed Organic Valley heavy cream , the only one I know of which doesn't contain carragenon in US. Probably, people who have to be more concerned about status of their inflammation, have to look more closely at the heavy cream as well, it most likely comes with carragenon. May be even using half-and-half could be more reasonable option from the budget and health perspective during times when we live through a lean time.
Lori Miller said…
Kalona is another brand. I like their butter; maybe I'll try their cream again.

http://www.kalonasupernatural.com/our-products/organic-milk/organic-whipping-cream/
Galina L. said…
Thank you, Lori.
To my amazement, I found the store not far from me which sells Kalona cream. Probably, I will give it a try while Publix is feeling my order.

Feel better soon and try to stay positive. Easier said then done but I find it helps.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
I'm just hoping I can keep my retainer in enough to avoid that yaeba look.
albina N muro said…
This past month or so, I've had TMJ headaches in the morning, along with some mild stomach issues and acne the past week or so. I think it's muscle memory from years ago, back when I wore a night guard for TMJ pain. http://www.learnaboutmigraineheadaches.com

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...