Skip to main content

Onions: A Pain in the Neck?

Sometimes it takes a lousy day to make you figure out what's wrong. And today was a lousy day.

First, it took an half an hour to get through the line at the understaffed Kroger. When I came home, the house still smelled like onions from canning chili the day before, and my headache and sore neck started getting worse. I ate some leftover chili and roused myself to go shop for a new washer, since mine is leaking from the bottom, as the plumber I called for a clogged drain discovered. An appliance repairman on YouTube said washers are badly built nowadays; I bought a brand unlikely to break down for a good seven years or so. It set me back three times what I paid in the 90s for a Kenmore that lasted at least 20 years. There was no use shopping for a used one here in Indianapolis: people here use appliances until they're worn out.

By mid-afternoon, I was back home and took some Mucinex for my sinus pain...and realized I'd felt OK while I was out shopping. It was like Christmas 2015 when I made wasabi almonds: I was sick to my stomach, I felt better when I went outside, so I aired out the house and felt better. 

Savory staple or mucosal menace? Photo from Pexels.

Biggs had been after me to go outside with him. Did he know I needed to go outside, too? He might have just wanted me to throw his ball (but I can do that indoors). We may never know what was in his mind. 

Hero dog or just a hedonistic ball-catcher?


Is there a connection between onions and wasabi? An article from the University of California at San Francisco says, "Acrid smoke and fresh-chopped onions don’t have much in common – other than evoking an eye-watering urge to run to another room. Remarkably, the irritant chemicals in both smoke and onions – as well as garlic, horseradish and wasabi, and an assortment of potent toxins such as formaldehyde – all trigger this protective response by activating a single sensory molecule in the nerve cells of our mucous membranes."

I've always been allergic to cigarette smoke, and smoke from a barbecue grill irritates my eyes. If one molecule senses smoke, onion and wasabi, it makes sense that all of them would bother me equally. It's just the scent of cooking onions and wasabi that bother me; I love to eat them. 

But can sinus irritation lead to neck pain? A study in the Journal of Manual & Manipulative Therapy says, "Neck pain and cervical musculoskeletal dysfunction are common among persons with SRSH [self-reported sinus headaches] and may be a comorbid feature or contributing factor to headaches attributed to rhinosinusitis. Further research is needed to understand these associations."

Suspecting it was the smell of onions that was bothering me, I turned on the HVAC fan, opened the windows and went outside with Biggs. I felt better after a few hours (the two aspirin I took probably helped; the Mucinex didn't). 

Making wing sauce tomorrow is off (it has onions). I ordered a ductless range hood and won't be cooking any more onions until it arrives, and maybe not even after that.

Comments

It may well have been the onions? Best to wait for the range hood to be delivered and hope that when you next cook onions the headache will not manifest again.

That's a sweet photograph of Biggs.

All the best Jan
Lori Miller said…
Someone asked if I could just open a window. If I wrestled the west-facing window open, it would blow the onion-scented air into the rest of the house; opening the south window wouldn't do much. My old house had an east-facing window next to the stove that was easy to open.

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...