Skip to main content

Taking Adrenal Cortex Supplements: My Results. Yet Another Reason to Avoid Statins.

I've been taking various adrenal hormones for the past few weeks with mixed results. Overall, it's been positive: they seem to have helped me get over a three-month-long case of bronchitis and I have more energy. Using a dab of hydrocortisone at bedtime has prevented me from grinding my teeth at night. On the downside, the adrenal glandular (containing adrenaline) gives me palpitations if I take too much of it. I've been getting too hot and cold (mostly too hot). Too much hydrocortisone made me puffy and gave me a slight case of acne. Taking adrenal cortex after midday gives me acid reflux and keeps me up at night. (I'm writing this at 4:30 AM.)

Your adrenal hormones help with healing, controlling blood sugar, controlling inflammation, and dealing with stress. They make some of your sex hormones.

Why is adrenal fatigue apparently becoming more common? Your adrenal hormones are made of cholesterol--including LDL, the "bad" cholesterol. Salt is also important for proper adrenal function. What's the dietary advice been for fifty years? Avoid salt, red meat (full of cholesterol) and fat (which Mother Nature packages with cholesterol in animal foods). What's been one of the most popular drugs of our lifetime? Statins. A common side effect of cholesterol-lowering statin drugs is aches and pains. If lowering cholesterol or restricting your salt reduces your cortisol (a hormone that helps with healing and inflammation), it's a no-brainer that that would lead to inflammation and pain. It might also explain how statins lead to diabetes in some people: remember that your adrenal hormones help control blood sugar.

My cholesterol was up 80 points last spring--over 200. I think my body was doing its best to make adrenal hormones (and thyroid hormones). Or maybe it was up because cholesterol wasn't being converted to those hormones. In either case, I hadn't started a fatty meat fest. I'd been on one for years and my cholesterol stayed fairly low.

Speaking of thyroid hormones, low-fat diets and statin drugs could also account for the rise in thyroid problems: your thyroid hormones are also made of cholesterol. Along with heart disease, diabetes, overweight, acid reflux, and mental health problems, I think we can add thyroid and adrenal problems to the list of disasters that low-fat diets and/or statins have caused.

Sources:
Stop the Thyroid Madness, Updated Revised Edition by Janie A. Bowthorpe, MED.
Adrenal Fatigue: The 21st Century Stress Syndrome by James L. Wilson, ND, DC, Ph.D.
Safe Uses of Cortisol by William McK. Jefferies, MD, FACP

Comments

Janey said…
Where did you put the cortisone cream? I have a night-grinding problem and would love some relief. Thanks.
Lori Miller said…
Your body will absorb it, so you can put it anywhere but your face. You need to avoid putting it on the same place every time. Use a little dab--less than the size of a pea.

A word of caution: if your cortisol is already high, this may make things worse and keep you up at night. If your cortisol is normal or high at night, I'd look into wearing a splint (I used to wear one) and reducing sources of tension and inflammation.
Janey said…
Thank you so much!

Popular posts from this blog

Carrageenan: A Sickening Thickener. Is it a Migraine Menace?

Let me tell you about my ride in an ambulance last night. I woke up at six o'clock from a nap with a mild headache. I ate dinner and took my vitamins, along with a couple of extra magnesium pills. Since magnesium helps my TMJ flare-ups, I thought it might help my headache. Then I went to see my mother. A few hours later, I had a severe headache, sinus pain and nausea. During a brief respite from the pain, I left for home, but less than a mile later, I got out of my car and threw up. A cop, Officer Fisher, pulled up behind me and asked if I was okay. He believed me when he said I hadn't been drinking, but he said I seemed lethargic and he wanted the paramedics to see me. (Later he mentioned that a man he'd recently stopped was having a stroke.) Thinking I had a migraine headache, the paramedics wanted to take me to the hospital. But since I knew that doctors don't know what causes migraine headaches, and I didn't know what effect their medicine would have on m...

Blog Lineup Change

Bye-bye, Fathead. I've enjoyed the blog, but can't endorse the high-fat, high-carb Perfect Health Diet that somehow makes so much sense to some otherwise bright people. An astrophysicist makes some rookie mistakes on a LC diet, misdiagnoses them, makes up "glucose deficiency," and creates a diet that's been shown in intervention studies to increase small LDL, which can lead to heart disease. A computer programmer believes in the diet and doesn't seem eager to refute it because, perhaps, scientists are freakin' liars and while he's good at spotting logical inconsistencies, lacks some intermediate knowledge of human biology. To Tom's credit, he says it's not the right diet for everyone, but given the truckload of food that has to be prepared and eaten, impracticality of following it while traveling (or even not traveling), and unsuitability for FODMAPs sufferers, diabetics and anyone prone to heart disease (i.e., much of the population), I'm...

Why I've stopped eating fermented foods

I'm finally getting answers about weird health problems that have kept coming and going over the years for no reason I could ever explain: pounding heart, bloating, insomnia, heat intolerance, intolerance of high-fat meals, and getting winded easily even though I'm physically fit. These health problems all came roaring in at once this spring when I did a huge landscape project, pushing through it even while I had a cold. The yard looks fabulous, but I ended up with A three-week cold Post-viral syndrome for another few weeks An ongoing cough  Insomnia (tired but wired late at night) A puffy face, especially in the morning and after eating foods I’d previously tolerated (including SIBO yogurt) 6 pound weight gain TATT (tired all the time) Being easily winded Having a hard time cooling off Being sensitive to sunlight Grok (X’s AI feature) said this could be mast cell activation syndrome (MCAS). Mast cells are immune system cells that put out pathogen-fighting and other substances ...